tc-list Coptic fonts

  • Thomas J. Kraus
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 29, 1998
      Hello everybody,
      while I´m working on some textual variants in Coptic, I´ve got
      problems with processing Coptic letters. Does anybody have (reliable)
      Coptic fonts for copying them into my Windows95 directory, or know
      where to get them from? As far as I know the most appropriate file
      format would be *.ttf.
      Apart from that: does anybody have a "warm" suggestion for further
      readings on the Coptic versions and their relevance for textual
      criticism?
      Thanks (in advance),

      Thomas
      Universität Regensburg
      Kath.-theol. Fakultät
      Universitätsstr. 31
      D-93053 Regensburg

      Tel. + 49 941 943 36 90
      Fax. + 49 941 943 19 86
      thomas-juergen.kraus@...-regensburg.de
    • Maurice A. O'Sullivan
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 30, 1998
        At 07:51 30/06/98 +0200, you wrote:
        >Hello everybody,
        >while I´m working on some textual variants in Coptic, I´ve got
        >problems with processing Coptic letters. Does anybody have (reliable)
        >Coptic fonts for copying them into my Windows95 directory, or know
        >where to get them from? As far as I know the most appropriate file
        >format would be *.ttf.

        Using AltaVista search engine, with the two terms +coptic +fonts,
        yielded me 667 hits.
        A useful one is : http://www.remnkemi.com/fonts/
        which is a summary of a search previously done.

        It dates from Dec. 97, and as the first ten 'hits' show there are later
        messages from such as Mark Goodacre's ' A World without Q' site [
        http://www.bham.ac.uk/theology/q~debate.htm ]

        Incidentally, there is available for free d/l on this TC site the SPAchmim
        font, but as the author notes "This font is similar to Windows Symbol font
        with added Coptic letters. The problem with this font is that it is
        missing a few letters. As you can see on the left, the "V" is missing. It
        is a Sahidic font."

        I have a commercial CD-ROM from SSi Fonts [http://www.ssifonts.com/%5d which
        includes a Coptic font.

        Enjoy!
        Maurice A. O'Sullivan
        [ Bray, Ireland ]
        mauros@...

        Confucius said: "To study and not think is a waste. To think and not study
        is dangerous."
        Analects 2:15
      • James R. Adair
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 30, 1998
          There are several Coptic fonts available for free download from Web or FTP
          sites, including the SPAchmim font. The author of the page at
          http://www.remnkemi.com/fonts mischaracterizes SPAchmim by calling it a
          Sahidic font. In addition to the regular Sahidic characters, it includes
          two Bohairic forms of chai and one Achmimic form. He states, "The problem
          with this font is that it is missing a few letters. As you can see on the
          left, the 'V' is missing." There are no missing letters that I'm aware
          of, but I didn't create separate large versions of the letters to use as
          capitals, since the forms are really not any different (so also with the
          Greek uncial font SPDoric). If you want to use larger forms of the
          letters, the way to do it is to use <FONT SIZE=+2> in your HTML document.
          It might be useful in a future version of the font to include separate
          larger versions of each letter.

          Jimmy Adair
          General Editor of TC: A Journal of Biblical Textual Criticism