Re: tc-list (2 Sam 18:29): Sevirin

  • Maurice A. O'Sullivan
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 27, 1998
      At 12:14 27/06/98 +0100, you wrote:
      >I would welcome any comments/corrections to this understanding of Sevirin.

      Pedro:
      You -- and others dealing with this question -- might like to know there is
      an an excellent new publication:

      "The Masorah of Biblia Hebraica Stuttgartensia: Introduction and Annotated
      Glossary " by Kelley, Mynatt, and Crawford ( Eerdmans 1998)
      ISBN 0-8028-4363-8

      There are four good chapters in the Introduction, but the real meat is in
      the Glossary.
      Turning to samek-beth-yod-resh, I found this definition:
      *************
      Abbreviation for ......... [Aramaic snipped] ..... is the psssive
      participle for the Aramaic SBR meanign "supposed"
      It cites a possible emendation for a problem text, but warns that the
      emendation, which might be 'supposed' to be superior, should nevertheless
      be avoided. It insists that the text be left as it is, problems
      nothwithstanding.
      *************

      And as is usual with this glossary it deals with two examples in
      considerable detail -- in this case with Gn 19:23 and Nb 13:22

      I can thoroughly recommend this work -- it is a large format paperback with
      which even my aging eyes can cope, and it is a very reasonable price.
      When I bough it a couple of months ago, it was listed at USD 26.00 but was
      available from Dove Booksellers at USD 18.00 -- try them at:
      dovebook@...
      or have a look at their website:
      http://www.dovebook.com/menu.htm

      Maurice A. O'Sullivan
      [ Bray, Ireland ]
      mauros@...

      Confucius said: "To study and not think is a waste. To think and not study
      is dangerous."
      Analects 2:15