Re: tc-list Concordances

  • Kevin W. Woodruff
    Message 1 of 5 , May 20, 1998
      What type?

      Greek-English?
      Hebrew-English?
      NASB?
      NIV?
      NRSV?
      RSV?

      At 03:00 PM 5/20/98 -0500, you wrote:
      >> I have a question: a friend who does not know any ancient languages has asked
      >> me to suggest a concordance. She doesn't want a Strong's and she'd like the
      >> Metzger one with NRSV, but she says it's out of print. Any suggestions? She
      >> would like to avoid KJV as well.
      >
      >Thanks,
      >Burke
      >
      >--
      >Burke Gerstenschlager
      >orpheus@...
      >http://ccwf.cc.utexas.edu/~charis
      >
      >"I will try to express myself in some mode of life or art as freely as I
      can and as wholly as I can,
      >using for my defence the only arms I allow myself to use - silence, exile,
      and cunning.
      > - Stephen Dedalus _A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man_

      Kevin W. Woodruff, M.Div.
      Library Director/Reference Librarian
      Cierpke Memorial Library
      1815 Union Ave.
      Chattanooga, Tennessee 37404
      United States of America
      423/493-4252 (office)
      423/698-9447 (home)
      423/493-4497 (FAX)
      Cierpke@... (preferred)
      kwoodruf@... (alternate)
      http://funnelweb.utcc.utk.edu/~kwoodruf/woodruff.htm
    • Ralph Nielsen
      Message 2 of 5 , May 20, 1998
        BERT GERSTENSCHLAGER
        >> I have a question: a friend who does not know any ancient languages has
        >>asked
        >> me to suggest a concordance. She doesn't want a Strong's and she'd like the
        >> Metzger one with NRSV, but she says it's out of print. Any suggestions? She
        >> would like to avoid KJV as well.
        >
        >Thanks,
        >Burke

        RALPH NIELSEN
        Try Christian Book Distributors:

        E-mail: orders@...
        Web: http://www.christianbook.com

        CBD has been closing out the Metzger NRSV concordance for only $9.95. I
        suspect that the publisher is working on a concordance to the NRSV which
        will contain Hebrew and Greek indexes as well, and at a substantially
        higher price.

        Ralph Nielsen
        Retired librarian
      • Burkenstock
        Message 3 of 5 , May 20, 1998
          Kevin W. Woodruff wrote:

          > What type?
          >
          > Greek-English?
          > Hebrew-English?
          > NASB?
          > NIV?
          > NRSV?
          > RSV?

          Sorry. I should've been more specific. I think she'd like a NRSV or NIV.

          Message 4 of 5 , May 21, 1998
            The NIV Exhaustive concordance is one of the best!
            Amazon.com has it:

            The NIV Exhaustive Concordance (Regency Reference Library
            Book)
            by Edward W. Goodrick, John R., III Kohlenberger (Editor)
            List: $39.99
            Our Price: $27.99
            You Save: $12.00 (30%)

            Availability: This title usually ships within 24
            hours.

            Hardcover, 1853 pages
            Published by Zondervan Pub House
            Publication date: December 1990
            Dimensions (in inches): 2.42 x 11.30 x 8.75
            ISBN: 0310436907