Re: tc-list Quote by Bruce Metzger

  • Dierk Vandenberg
    Message 1 of 28 , May 15, 1997
      -----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
      Von: Jack Kilmon <jkilmon@...>
      An: tc-list@... <tc-list@...>
      Datum: Freitag, 15. Mai 1998 15:49
      Betreff: Re: tc-list Quote by Bruce Metzger

      Jack wrote:

      >[... snip-snap ...]
      >If there was ever even a remote possibility that 7Q5 could have been part
      >of an "Ur-Markus" it will never get a thorough "going over" because of all
      >the nonsense.
      > [... ]
      >Jack

      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

      here comes 7Q5 for those who like to puzzle it out :

      (1) [ -- ].[ -- ]
      (2) [ -- ]. tô a.[ -- ]
      (3) [ -- ]ê kai tô[(?) -- ]
      (4) [ -- n]nês[ -- ]
      (5) [ -- ]têes[ -- ]

      that's all!

      Mk 6:52-53 possibly only in line (4) and (5) if a shorter text is assumed
      !!!

      Other possibilities are:
      Ex 36:10-11
      2Ki 5:13-14
      Zech 7:4-5 (!)

      Regards,
      Dierk

      "Where were you when the page was blank?"
      Truman Capote
    • Carlton Winbery
      Message 2 of 28 , May 12, 1998
        Steven Carr wrote,

        >The article has now been restored to the Web page listed above.
        >Presumably, the author and the owner of the Web site are sure it is
        >genuine. It seems incredible to me that Professor Metzger would say such
        >things.

        I just (7:16, 12/May/98) tried to access this page again and was told that
        it was still being with held in order to check the accuracy of the quotes.
        I still wait to convinced that Metzger actually made the comments
        attributed to him.

        Carlton L. Winbery
        Fogleman Professor of Religion
        Louisiana College
        Pineville, LA 71359
        winberyc@...
        winbery@...
      • DC PARKER
        Message 3 of 28 , May 12, 1998
          > They are withholding the article to check the references on Gregory Neal's
          > article "On 7Q5 and the Magdalen Papyri." This article gave several Metzger
          > sources in reference to the Magdalen Papyrus. As I recall, some were yet to
          > be published monographs, I assume which were given at SBL events.

          That explains why my curiosity was baulked this morning when I tried
          to examine this strange production for myself.

          I hope that they correct 'Magulen' (sic) at the same time.

          DC PARKER
          DEPT OF THEOLOGY
          UNIVERSITY OF BIRMINGHAM
          TEL. 0121-414 3613
          FAX 0121-414 6866
          E-MAIL PARKERDC@...
        • Steven Carr
          Message 4 of 28 , May 12, 1998
            In message <9178f954.355860c0@...>, PMoore4733 <PMoore4733@...>
            writes
            >Check out TEKTON's page at
            >http://www.jude3.org/bookshelf/truth/tekton/Tekton_TOC.html
            >They are withholding the article to check the references on Gregory Neal's
            >article "On 7Q5 and the Magdalen Papyri." This article gave several Metzger
            >sources in reference to the Magdalen Papyrus. As I recall, some were yet to
            >be published monographs, I assume which were given at SBL events.

            The article has now been restored to the Web page listed above.
            Presumably, the author and the owner of the Web site are sure it is
            genuine. It seems incredible to me that Professor Metzger would say such
            things.
          • PMoore4733
            Message 5 of 28 , May 12, 1998
              Regarding the dating of the Magdalen Papyri and Dr. Metzger: The following is
              out of the Reverend Gregory Neal's Paper on TEKTON:
              http://www.jude3.org/bookshelf/truth/tekton/Tekton_02_02_06.html
              (A page from the Christian Apologetics Bookshelf).

              "The writing style of Herculaneum is, to my eye, so near to identical
              to that of Ps 64 and 67 that I am now willing to accept that they should
              be dated 70 - 100 CE, with a median date of 85 CE"

              This passage comes out of the paragraph that has been in question on this site
              regarding Dr. Metzger. Neal cites the follow source:

              ("Metzger, "P64+67 and the Governmental letters of Herculaneum: A Critique
              of the 1996 Thiede Analysis." 1997 Monograph before SBL. pp. 38-39. )"

              The above appears on page 6 of Neal's document.
            • Yuri Kuchinsky
              Message 6 of 28 , May 12, 1998
                Dear list members,

                I would like to correct an inaccuracy in my previous post. It was very
                helpfully pointed out to me in private email.

                On Mon, 11 May 1998, Yuri Kuchinsky wrote:

                > According to Ehrman, the earliest such tradition can be found in Paul's
                > letter to the Romans. And this tradition is clearly
                > Resurrection-Adoptionist, i.e. it maintains that Jesus was adopted by
                > God, His Father, at the moment of his Resurrection from the dead:
                >
                > [Christ Jesus ...] who came from the seed of David according
                > to the flesh, who was appointed Son of God _in power_
                > according to the Spirit of holiness by his resurrection from the
                > dead. (Rom 1:3-4)
                >
                > According to Ehrman (p. 48), the words "in power", (underlined
                > above) are a late addition;

                So far, what I said in my essay was accurate. But next, there's a problem.

                > this is just one of the many examples of
                > the later "orthodox corruptions" of the original Pauline text, a
                > corruption that was meant to lessen this text's Adoptionist
                > implications.

                Here's the problem.

                According to what Ehrman actually writes in his book, while the expression
                "in power = en dinamei" _is_ intrusive in what appears clearly like a
                pre-Pauline credal formula (here he cites the works by Schlier, and Werner
                Kramer), according to Ehrman, the words in question were added by Paul
                himself. So he does not consider this as an "orthodox corruption" of the
                original text. I'm sorry for the confusion.

                Here's what Ehrman says in the footnote about the phrase being intrusive:

                "That it [the phrase _en dinamei_] is intrusive in the creed itself is
                shown by the fact that there is nothing in the first clause with which it
                is parallel, unlike every other component of the second clause." (p. 100)

                The rest of what I wrote about this passage is still accurate:

                > Of course this addition merely lessens the Adoptionist
                > meaning of this passage, and doesn't quite eliminate it completely.
                >
                > If we take this quite Adoptionistic statement of Rom 1:3-4 as
                > originally written by Paul, and there's no reason we should doubt
                > it, this would place this sort of a belief very early indeed.

                I would like to add that the question of who added the phrase to the
                pre-existent credal formula is on the whole rather marginal to the main
                thesis of my essay. I think a case can be made that this phrase _was_ a
                later orthodox corruption after all. But of course the words _en dinamei_
                are generally considered as part of Pauline vocabulary, and Ehrman notes
                this.

                Best wishes,

                Yuri.
              • Yuri Kuchinsky
                Message 7 of 28 , May 12, 1998
                  On Tue, 12 May 1998, PMoore4733 wrote:

                  > Regarding the dating of the Magdalen Papyri and Dr. Metzger: The
                  > following is out of the Reverend Gregory Neal's Paper on TEKTON:
                  > http://www.jude3.org/bookshelf/truth/tekton/Tekton_02_02_06.html (A page
                  > from the Christian Apologetics Bookshelf).

                  Friends,

                  In case someone is interested to see what kind of scholarship is really
                  featured on this website, I would like to draw your attention to another
                  highly problematic article there. This is an article by J.P. Holding, who
                  I think is the owner of this website. This article, and some obvious
                  doctoring of an important quote in it, has been the subject of some
                  discussion on Crosstalk-l recently. Here's part of a longer article I
                  posted to Crosstalk.

                  Re: an article in the JOURNAL OF HIGHER CRITICISM at:

                  http://daniel.drew.edu/~ddoughty/rp1cor15.html

                  And a reply by Holding at:

                  http://www.jude3.org/bookshelf/truth/tekton/Tekton_01_05_02.html

                  Message 8 of 28 , May 12, 1998
                    Carlton Winbery <winberyc@...> writes

                    >Steven Carr wrote,
                    >>The article has now been restored to the Web page listed above.
                    >>Presumably, the author and the owner of the Web site are sure it is
                    >>genuine.

                    >I just (7:16, 12/May/98) tried to access this page again and was told that
                    >it was still being with held in order to check the accuracy of the quotes.
                    >I still wait to convinced that Metzger actually made the comments
                    >attributed to him.

                    I had forgotten that the article was still on my Internet Service
                    Provider's cache, which only gets updated every couple of hours or so. I
                    was picking up an old version of the page.
                  • James R. Adair
                    Message 9 of 28 , May 13, 1998
                      I wrote to the SBL executive office to see if they were familiar with the
                      article cited as: Metzger, "P64+67 and the Governmental letters of
                      Herculaneum: A Critique of the 1996 Thiede Analysis," 1997 Monograph
                      before SBL, pp 38-39. They were not aware of the article or of the book
                      which supposedly contains it, either in print or in production (and
                      Scholars Press, which publishes most SBL books, is not aware of any such
                      book either). If the quote is genuine, certainly the author of the Web
                      page should supply an accurate book title.

                      Jimmy Adair
                      and
                      -------------> http://shemesh.scholar.emory.edu <--------------
                    • Yuri Kuchinsky
                      Message 10 of 28 , May 14, 1998
                        Dear friends,

                        I was wrong. It seems like Mr. Holding is innocent of the charges. I was
                        too rash in my judgement, and I apologize for what I said.

                        Mr. Holding was contacted, and he has very good defence against these
                        charges. Another, and earlier, version of Price's article exists on the
                        web:

                        http://www.infidels.org/library/modern/robert_price/apocrypha.html

                        This was the version that Holding was using when composing his critique.
                        Later, Price changed the text of his article ever so slightly, obviously
                        to accomodate the criticism by Holding. Neither Price nor Holding did
                        anything unethical.

                        Again, my apologies,

                        Yuri.

                        On Tue, 12 May 1998, Yuri Kuchinsky wrote:

                        > Re: an article in the JOURNAL OF HIGHER CRITICISM at:
                        >
                        > http://daniel.drew.edu/~ddoughty/rp1cor15.html
                        >
                        > And a reply by Holding at:
                        >
                        > http://www.jude3.org/bookshelf/truth/tekton/Tekton_01_05_02.html
                      • Michael Holmes
                        Message 11 of 28 , May 15, 1998
                          Colleagues,

                          Regarding the quotations attributed to Bruce Metzger in an article by a Rev.
                          Greg Neal on 7Q5 and the Magdalen papyri, which have been the subject of
                          much speculation lately on this list: the webmaster of the site where the
                          article was posted informs me that he confronted (via telephone) Neal, who
                          admits to fabricating the quotations--"totally and completely," as the
                          webmaster put it.

                          Mike Holmes
                        • Jack Kilmon
                          Message 12 of 28 , May 15, 1998
                            Michael Holmes wrote:

                            > Colleagues,
                            >
                            > Regarding the quotations attributed to Bruce Metzger in an article by a Rev.
                            > Greg Neal on 7Q5 and the Magdalen papyri, which have been the subject of
                            > much speculation lately on this list: the webmaster of the site where the
                            > article was posted informs me that he confronted (via telephone) Neal, who
                            > admits to fabricating the quotations--"totally and completely," as the
                            > webmaster put it.

                            This is the kind of thing that really "chaps my butt" (is there Greek for
                            that?)
                            If there was ever even a remote possibility that 7Q5 could have been part
                            of an "Ur-Markus" it will never get a thorough "going over" because of all
                            the nonsense. I would have been willing to listen to arguments about 7Q5
                            but it's pairing with the Magdalen Papyri as an "eyewitness" Matthew will
                            insure that any arguments, no matter how valid or otherwise, will not be
                            heard.

                            Jack
                          • Bruce Morrill
                            Message 13 of 28 , May 16, 1998
                              On Fri, 15 May 1998, Michael Holmes wrote:
                              > Regarding the quotations attributed to Bruce Metzger in an article by a Rev.
                              > Greg Neal on 7Q5 and the Magdalen papyri, which have been the subject of
                              > much speculation lately on this list: the webmaster of the site where the
                              > article was posted informs me that he confronted (via telephone) Neal, who
                              > admits to fabricating the quotations--"totally and completely," as the
                              > webmaster put it.

                              This reminds me of gratitude I don't express enough to Jimmy Adair and
                              others who are trying to give us the advantages of the Web and electronic
                              publishing, while retaining the time-proven safeguards of peer review, etc
                              that Larry Hurtado has stressed to us.

                              Bruce Morrill bruce@...
                            • RE Elliott
                              Message 14 of 28 , May 17, 1998
                                In a message dated 98-05-15 08:51:33 EDT, Mike Holmes wrote:

                                << Colleagues,

                                Regarding the quotations attributed to Bruce Metzger in an article by a Rev.
                                Greg Neal on 7Q5 and the Magdalen papyri, which have been the subject of
                                much speculation lately on this list: the webmaster of the site where the
                                article was posted informs me that he confronted (via telephone) Neal, who
                                admits to fabricating the quotations--"totally and completely," as the
                                webmaster put it. >>

                                The above quote, in addition to the inquiry that Jimmy adair made to SBL and
                                the personal telephone conversation that I had with Dr. Metzger himself should
                                put this string of speculative postings to an end.
                                I thank God that we don't believe everything we hear. We do diligence to do
                                the research necessary to find the truth. Now, let's get on with some textual
                                study!
                                Rich Elliott
                              • Yuri Kuchinsky
                                Message 15 of 28 , May 19, 1998
                                  Dear friends,

                                  This is a very stimulating work that deals with many much
                                  neglected subjects and source materials in the history of early
                                  Christianity:

                                  AUTHOR: Franzmann, Majella, 1952-
                                  TITLE: Jesus in the Nag Hammadi writings
                                  PUBLISHED: Edinburgh : T & T Clark, 1996.
                                  NOTES: Includes bibliographical references (p. 215-246) and
                                  ISBN: 0567085260

                                  In her Chapter 1, Franzmann complains that, in spite of some rather
                                  unconvincing disclaimers, still far too few NT scholars are taking
                                  non-canonical materials seriously when dealing with early
                                  Christian literature, traditions, and beliefs. This is what has been
                                  described by some as "the tyranny of the canon" that is still very
                                  much with us.

                                  Franzmann writes that Helmut Koester has repeatedly called for a
                                  broadening of perspective to include more non-canonical
                                  materials,

                                  [Back in 1980] ... Koester calls attention once again to the
                                  problem of "deep-seated prejudices" reflected in the attitude
                                  of New Testament scholars towards the apocryphal writings
                                  [APOCRYPHAL AND CANONICAL GOSPELS, HTR 73
                                  (1980): 105-30, p. 130], yet scholars continue to ignore the
                                  exhortation. There is little or no reference to non-canonical
                                  material, for example, in recent work in Meier, Green and
                                  Turner, and Charlesworth (1988). In the latter case, only Gos.
                                  Thom. in the Nag Hammadi texts is seen as essential for the
                                  historical Jesus quest (83-90) [In the footnote she says that
                                  Meier's second volume of his THE MARGINAL JEW "contains
                                  more detailed argumentation against using Gos. Thom.", but
                                  still, she finds his approach unsatisfying.]. Fredriksen's study
                                  makes no mention at all of any non-canonical text, even in
                                  the final chapter, "Jesus of Nazareth in Christian Tradition"
                                  (205-15). (p. 4)

                                  While Charlesworth and Evans in their article dedicated to this
                                  matter (Charlesworth and Evans, JESUS IN AGRAPHA AND
                                  APOCRYPHAL GOSPELS, in Chilton and Evans, eds, STUDYING
                                  THE HISTORICAL JESUS, Brill, 1994)

                                  ...state that the agrapha and apocryphal gospels should be
                                  given "due consideration", Evans' later work [JESUS AND
                                  HIS CONTEMPORARIES, Brill, 1995, p. 17] is much more
                                  critical, suggesting that the only credible material for Jesus
                                  research "ultimately derives from the canonical Gospels
                                  themselves" (p. 5)

                                  Also, in the latter work, Craig A. Evans had authored some rather pointed
                                  polemics directed at what he describes as "influential coterie of
                                  American scholars", especially the "Jesus Seminar and its
                                  sympathisers" (26-40), i.e. at the scholars who are actually paying
                                  attention to these much-neglected sources.

                                  Franzmann notes that there are far too few scholars in N. America
                                  indeed, with few exceptions like James Robinson and Crossan,
                                  who are giving appropriate consideration to non-canonical
                                  materials.

                                  In particular, she also says this about recent surveys dealing with
                                  the gospel genre,

                                  With few exceptions within recent work devoted to gospel
                                  genre, scholars either fail to mention the apocrypha at all
                                  (e.g. Cantwell; Dahl; Dihle; and Thatcher), or make a footnote
                                  or two to Gos. Thom. (e.g. Stuhlmacher 1991b, 7), or they
                                  mention the apocrypha briefly only to dismiss them (e.g. Keck
                                  117; Kee 1977, 271; Stanton 1989, 125-35; and Sanders 64-5).
                                  ... One gains the impression from such studies that the
                                  apocryphal material need not be taken seriously when
                                  dealing with "gospel".

                                  A similar approach can be found in recent works whose titles
                                  appear to promise a breadth of scholarship. [Here she cites
                                  recent works by David Aune and Robert M. Grant, and finds them
                                  rather unsatisfying.] (p. 7)

                                  Further on, she quotes John G. Gager who suggested some 20
                                  years ago that, surprisingly enough, for too many scholars
                                  investigating the Historical Jesus, and pretending to historical
                                  objectivity,

                                  ...religious authority [of the NT writings] as sacred scripture
                                  has been extended to cover their historical authority as well"
                                  [Gager, THE GOSPELS AND JESUS: SOME DOUBTS
                                  ABOUT METHOD, Journal of Religion 54: p. 244-72] (p. 14)

                                  And such a methodological approach is hardly justified.

                                  Franzmann especially takes to task Robert M. Grant,

                                  A good example of the distortion which a misguided
                                  confessional stance can bring to the research enterprise is
                                  found in Grant's study of the Christ of the second century
                                  [Grant, JESUS AFTER THE GOSPELS: THE CHRIST OF
                                  THE SECOND CENTURY, 1990]. For Grant, christology is
                                  essentially to be derived from the canonical Gospels. ... One
                                  can only wonder in disbelief at the methodological
                                  perspective from which Grant can write:

                                  In spite of the exciting and valuable Gnostic documents
                                  recovered from Nag Hammadi in Egypt, the basic
                                  starting point for the study of the Gnostics has to lie in
                                  the earliest criticisms by Christians who wrote against
                                  heresies (41). (p. 21)

                                  The above survey of the situation in the field comes from Chapter 1 of
                                  Franzmann's book. The rest of her work is devoted to a detailed
                                  consideration of what insights about Jesus we can gain from Nag Hammadi
                                  writings. Some time later I will add more about what she says in the rest
                                  her book.

                                  It seems quite probable to me that the NH writings, besides containing a
                                  lot of later material dating perhaps to the 2nd and 3rd centuries, also
                                  preserve quite a bit of material that is rather early. Especially in the
                                  case of the Gospel of Thomas, most of the sayings definitely seem
                                  pre-canonical.

                                  By the way, I have found quite a bit of material in Franzmann's overview
                                  of NH texts that tends to support the view that the earliest post-Easter
                                  Christian faith was Adoptionist.

                                  Best regards,

                                  Yuri.

                                  Yuri Kuchinsky || Toronto

                                  http://www.trends.net/~yuku/bbl/bbl.htm

                                  equivalent to becoming God -=O=- Julian
                                • Steven Carr
                                  Message 16 of 28 , Sep 29, 1998
                                    Does the evidence of the Dead Sea Scrolls support the idea that the
                                    Masoretic Text of Jeremiah had been copied with meticulous care, and
                                    that the Masoretic Text was already established as authoritative?
                                  • Curt Niccum
                                    Message 17 of 28 , Sep 29, 1998
                                      The answer is yes and no. 4QJer-a and -c present a text close to the MT.
                                      On the other hand, 4QJer-b and -d offer a Hebrew text akin to that
                                      underlying the LXX. I am not sure what you mean by "authoritative." The
                                      idea of a single text being "authoritative" would be somewhat
                                      anachronistic in the period of the scrolls.

                                      Curt Niccum

                                    • Cook@AKAD.SUN.AC.ZA