tc-list Quarterly Reminder

  • tc-list-owner
    Message 1 of 24 , May 2, 1998
      General Information about the List
      tc-list: a discussion list of biblical textual criticism

      This list is loosely associated with the new electronic journal _TC:
      A Journal of Biblical Textual Criticism_, and it is intended for a
      discussion of any matters relating to biblical textual criticism, broadly
      defined. The rationale for the creation of the TC journal is given below.
      It is hoped that subscribers to the tc-list will reflect on and respond to
      material from articles in TC, will deal with issues that arise in the
      context of text-critical study in the community of biblical scholars at
      large, and will use the list to suggest new ideas and methodologies.
      Notes on any aspect of the textual criticism of the Jewish and Christian
      scriptures (including extracanonical and related literature) are welcome,
      and threads that transcend the traditional boundary between textual
      criticism of the Hebrew Bible/Old Testament and New Testament textual
      criticism are especially encouraged. We would also like to see threads
      that discuss the relationship between textual criticism and other
      disciplines.

      This list is an unmoderated list, and anyone who is a subscriber to the
      list may contribute. Conventional netiquette should be followed by all
      contributors to the list. The following points in particular should be
      kept in mind. (1) Discussion of topics other than textual criticism (or
      other topics likely to be of interest to members of the list) should be
      avoided. (2) Scholarly discussion can at times be somewhat heated, but
      civility should always prevail. (3) Contributors to the list should
      always sign their messages with their names (not just e-mail addresses).
      Additional information, such as institutional affiliation, might also be
      of interest to others on the list. (4) When responding to a message on
      the list, quote only that portion of the message that you are responding
      to, or enough of the message to remind readers of the context of the
      discussion. In many cases it is not necessary to quote the entire message.

      Archives of tc-list are automatically maintained, and they may be
      accessed by sending a message like the following to
      majordomo@...:

      get tc-list tc-list.yymm

      where yy is a 2-digit year and mm is a 2-digit month (e.g., tc-list.9604
      for April 1996). The first month archived is November 1995 (tc-list.9511).

      List archives may also be accessed on the Web at
      http://purl.org/TC/archives/tc-list/tc-list.html.
      TC messages since 28 Feb 1997 are also archived by Reference.COM at
      http://www.reference.com

      address you are sending from.

      You may also subscribe to this list in digest form (i.e., messages
      bundled and sent out a few times per week) by sending this message to
      majordomo@...:

      subscribe tc-list-digest [your e-mail address]

      If you subscribe to the digest, be sure to unsubscribe from the list so
      you won't receive everything twice.

      To send a message to the list for all to read, send your message to
      tc-list@.... Don't send to tc-list-digest, even if
      you're subscribed to the digest. Just send to tc-list.

      If you do not want to receive messages for a while (e.g., you're going on
      vacation or will be away from your computer for an extended time), please
      unsubscribe from the list. There is no "vacation" command on this list.
      When you want to start receiving messages again, simply subscribe to the
      list again.

      TC: A Journal of Biblical Textual Criticism
      One of the benefits of increasingly widespread Internet access is the
      ease with which scholars in a particular field can communicate with one
      another. Although the sciences have dominated the electronic journal
      field up until this point, several journals in the humanities are now
      available online. TC follows in the (brief) tradition of the Journal of
      Buddhist Ethics, the International Journal of Tantric Studies, and the
      Electronic Journal of Vedic Studies. As far as we are aware, TC is the
      first Web journal in the area of biblical studies.

      Why "biblical" textual criticism (rather than t-c of the NT or the Hebrew
      Bible/OT)? It is time for textual critics in the two camps to communicate
      more with one another. Textual critics in one field can only benefit by
      hearing what those in the other field have to say. The journal will
      accept papers dealing with any aspect of textual criticism of the
      OT/Hebrew Bible or NT, and it especially encourages "crossover"
      papers that deal with both areas. Papers dealing either with specific
      cruxes or with larger issues (methodology, use of versional evidence,
      etc.) are welcome. Brief notes or full-length articles are equally
      acceptable.

      Why an electronic journal? The fact of the matter is that printing a
      journal costs a lot of money (especially with recent increases in paper
      prices). In addition, it is debatable whether the field of textual
      criticism could generate a large enough base to support a paper journal.
      There are technical difficulties with displaying non-Latin characters that
      will have to be addressed, but some of these difficulties have already
      been overcome. With an electronic journal, scholars and students around
      the world can have free access to one or another form of the journal,
      either via the World Wide Web, FTP, or e-mail.

      TC is now in its second year of operation, and we are looking for
      articles. Please submit your articles in electronic form to:

      Jimmy Adair
      Scholars Press
      P.O. Box 15399
      Atlanta, GA 30333-0399
      USA

      You are also welcome to send articles via e-mail to
      jadair@..., or you may upload your articles directly to
      our FTP site at ftp://shemesh.scholar.emory.edu/uploads/TC.

      TC has a home page on TELA, the Scholars Press World Wide Web site
      (http://purl.org/TC), and interested parties
      can look at this page for announcements. We look forward to your
      participation in TC and tc-list!

      The list-owner of tc-list is Jimmy Adair (jadair@...).
    • tc-list-owner

        Message 3 of 24 , Sep 1, 1998
          I do not have study materials with me, but I need the textual evidence for
          and against the word "not" in Isaiah 9:3, "not increased the joy." Any
          help is appreciated.

          Prof. Ron Minton
          rminton@... (417)833-9581
          5379 North Farm Road 179
          Springfield, MO 65803
        • Jim West
          Message 4 of 24 , Sep 1, 1998
            At 03:06 PM 9/1/98 -0500, you wrote:
            >I do not have study materials with me, but I need the textual evidence for
            >and against the word "not" in Isaiah 9:3, "not increased the joy." Any
            >help is appreciated.

            9:3? Cuz there is no "lo" to be seen, either in the text or in the apparatus.

            >Prof. Ron Minton
            >rminton@... (417)833-9581
            >5379 North Farm Road 179
            >Springfield, MO 65803

            ++++++++++++++++++++++
            Jim West, ThD
            Quartz Hill School of Theology
            jwest@...
          • Rodney Hutton
            Message 5 of 24 , Sep 1, 1998
              The Hebrew of Isaiah 9:2 (= 9:3 in English) does have a peculiar text,
              reading something like:
              "You have multiplied the nation (haggoi). NOT! (lo'). You have
              increased the joy." The editor suggests reading "You have multiplied the
              rejoicing (haggilah), you have increased the joy." LXX reads "The major
              part of the nation which you (m.s.) have brought down (kategages) in your
              rejoicing." I cannot suggest withouth Hatch and Redpath how LXX derived
              its reading from either the MT or the editor's proposed reading. I can
              see why the BHS editor suggests taking haggoi lo as haggila, but LXX
              supports the reading of haggoi. If a textual change were made from
              haggilah to haggoi, it would have had to have occured prior to the
              translation into Greek. I'd have to check in Hatch and Redpath to see
              what words possibly lie behind katago ("bring down, lead down") to see
              what the translator might have been seeing. But I'll leave this to folks
              with more time.

              On Tue, 1 Sep 1998, Jim West wrote:

              > At 03:06 PM 9/1/98 -0500, you wrote:
              > >I do not have study materials with me, but I need the textual evidence for
              > >and against the word "not" in Isaiah 9:3, "not increased the joy." Any
              > >help is appreciated.
              >
              > 9:3? Cuz there is no "lo" to be seen, either in the text or in the apparatus.
              >

              > >Prof. Ron Minton
              > >rminton@... (417)833-9581
              > >5379 North Farm Road 179
              > >Springfield, MO 65803
              > >

              > ++++++++++++++++++++++
              > Jim West, ThD
              > Quartz Hill School of Theology
              > jwest@...

              Rod Hutton || Disclaimer, Datclaimer!
              Columbus, Ohio || What's all dis about a
              <rhutton@...> || Claimer?
            • Mark Gipe
              Message 6 of 24 , Sep 1, 1998
                Isaiah 9:2

                As MT

                "hirbitha hagoy lo' " = "you have made the nation populous no"

                The Leningrad Codex B19a ( and I'm sure others ) has a side note to read the
                text as "lo" instead of "lo' " that is lamed vav instead of lamed alef so
                the translation should read something like " You have made the nation
                populous for him" or "for it"

                Mark Gipe

                At 03:06 PM 9/1/98 -0500, you wrote:
                >I do not have study materials with me, but I need the textual evidence for
                >and against the word "not" in Isaiah 9:3, "not increased the joy." Any
                >help is appreciated.
                >
                >Prof. Ron Minton
                >rminton@... (417)833-9581
                >5379 North Farm Road 179
                >Springfield, MO 65803

              • Jack Kilmon
                Message 7 of 24 , Sep 1, 1998
                  The Great Isaiah Scroll 1QIsa shows lw) (lamed waw alef). I have
                  cropped a JPG of the text and will be glad to attach it to a post
                  if you, or Dr. Minton, is interested.

                  Jack

                  Mark Gipe wrote:

                  > Isaiah 9:2
                  >
                  > As MT
                  >
                  > "hirbitha hagoy lo' " = "you have made the nation populous no"
                  >
                  > The Leningrad Codex B19a ( and I'm sure others ) has a side note to read the
                  > text as "lo" instead of "lo' " that is lamed vav instead of lamed alef so
                  > the translation should read something like " You have made the nation
                  > populous for him" or "for it"
                  >
                  > Mark Gipe
                  >

                  > At 03:06 PM 9/1/98 -0500, you wrote:
                  > >I do not have study materials with me, but I need the textual evidence for
                  > >and against the word "not" in Isaiah 9:3, "not increased the joy." Any
                  > >help is appreciated.
                  > >
                  > >Prof. Ron Minton
                  > >rminton@... (417)833-9581
                  > >5379 North Farm Road 179
                  > >Springfield, MO 65803

                  Min d'LA rokHEM l'maRAN yeSHUa meshyCHA niheYAH. maRAN aTHA

                  Jack Kilmon
                  jkilmon@...

                  http://www.historian.net
                • Mark Gipe
                  Message 8 of 24 , Sep 1, 1998
                    Have it, thanks anyway Jack,

                    Mark

                    At 07:22 PM 9/1/98 -0500, you wrote:
                    >The Great Isaiah Scroll 1QIsa shows lw) (lamed waw alef). I have
                    >cropped a JPG of the text and will be glad to attach it to a post
                    >if you, or Dr. Minton, is interested.
                    >
                    >Jack
                    >
                    >Mark Gipe wrote:
                    >>
                    >> Isaiah 9:2
                    >>
                    >> As MT
                    >>
                    >> "hirbitha hagoy lo' " = "you have made the nation populous no"
                    >>
                    >> The Leningrad Codex B19a ( and I'm sure others ) has a side note to read the
                    >> text as "lo" instead of "lo' " that is lamed vav instead of lamed alef so
                    >> the translation should read something like " You have made the nation
                    >> populous for him" or "for it"
                    >>
                    >> Mark Gipe
                    >>

                    >> At 03:06 PM 9/1/98 -0500, you wrote:
                    >> >I do not have study materials with me, but I need the textual evidence for
                    >> >and against the word "not" in Isaiah 9:3, "not increased the joy." Any
                    >> >help is appreciated.
                    >> >
                    >> >Prof. Ron Minton
                    >> >rminton@... (417)833-9581
                    >> >5379 North Farm Road 179
                    >> >Springfield, MO 65803
                    >> >

                    >--
                    >
                    >Min d'LA rokHEM l'maRAN yeSHUa meshyCHA niheYAH. maRAN aTHA
                    >
                    >Jack Kilmon
                    >jkilmon@...
                    >
                    >http://www.historian.net

                  • Kevin W. Woodruff
                    Message 9 of 24 , Sep 1, 1998
                      Ron:

                      The evidence:
                      "not increased": The Kethiv of the Massoretic text and the Vulgate
                      "increased":The Qere of the Massoretic text and the Targums
                      The LXX has "Most of the people You have brought down in Your joy

                      Hope this helps

                      At 03:06 PM 9/1/98 -0500, you wrote:
                      >I do not have study materials with me, but I need the textual evidence for
                      >and against the word "not" in Isaiah 9:3, "not increased the joy." Any
                      >help is appreciated.
                      >
                      >Prof. Ron Minton
                      >rminton@... (417)833-9581
                      >5379 North Farm Road 179
                      >Springfield, MO 65803

                      Kevin W. Woodruff, M.Div.
                      Library Director/Reference Librarian
                      Cierpke Memorial Library
                      1815 Union Ave.
                      Chattanooga, Tennessee 37404
                      United States of America
                      423/493-4252 (office)
                      423/698-9447 (home)
                      423/493-4497 (FAX)
                      Cierpke@... (preferred)
                      kwoodruf@... (alternate)
                    • Steven Carr
                      Message 10 of 24 , Sep 1, 1998
                        In message <35EC8FCA.70380CC@...>, Jack Kilmon
                        <jkilmon@...> writes
                        >The Great Isaiah Scroll 1QIsa shows lw) (lamed waw alef). I have
                        >cropped a JPG of the text and will be glad to attach it to a post
                        >if you, or Dr. Minton, is interested.

                        Is this DSS Isaiah Scroll very similar, or reasonably similar, or quite
                        different from the later MT text?
                      • Jack Kilmon
                        Message 11 of 24 , Sep 2, 1998
                          Steven Carr wrote:

                          > In message <35EC8FCA.70380CC@...>, Jack Kilmon
                          > <jkilmon@...> writes
                          > >The Great Isaiah Scroll 1QIsa shows lw) (lamed waw alef). I have
                          > >cropped a JPG of the text and will be glad to attach it to a post
                          > >if you, or Dr. Minton, is interested.
                          >
                          > Is this DSS Isaiah Scroll very similar, or reasonably similar, or quite
                          > different from the later MT text?

                          1QIs(a) and 1QIs(b) were the first scrolls found in the caves by theBedouin
                          shepherd boy in 1947. I saw this scroll for the first time
                          in 1948 in Bill Albright's office at JHU. The B scroll is very similar
                          to the MT with minor variations. The A Scroll is something else
                          again. It uses "Qumranese" and language common to the time it was
                          copied rather than when composed.

                          Jack
                          jkilmon@...
                        • scanlin@compuserve.com
                          Message 12 of 24 , Sep 2, 1998
                            The lo [with aleph] we lo [with waw] ketiv-qere variant is a famous
                            Masoretic phenomenon which occurs 17 times in the Hebrew Bible, including
                            Isa 9.2. (See Weil: MM 1795 for the list.) Bruno Ognibeni, in Tradizioni
                            orali di letture e testo ebraico della Bibbia: studio de diciassette ketiv
                            l' / qere lw (Fribourg, 1989) says that in every instance the context may
                            be considered ambiguous. (For convenience, see the short review of
                            Ognibeni in CBQ 53(1991):681-2.) O.'s textual analysis of Isa 9.2 is on
                            pp. 95-99.

                            Harold P. Scanlin
                            United Bible Societies
                            1865 Broadway
                            New York, NY 10023
                            scanlin@...
                          • Roderic L. Mullen
                            Message 13 of 24 , Sep 2, 1998
                              I wonder if this "lo" could be another example of the emphatic particle as
                              suggested for Ex.3:3 by Brevard Childs on p.50 of his Commentary on Exodus.
                              See also Kholer-Baumgartner (English ed.) vol.2, pp510-511. A translation
                              could then read "you have made the nations populous indeed!" A difficulty
                              here would be that "Lo" emphatic seems usually to precede the predicate.
                              --Rod Mullen

                            • Cook@AKAD.SUN.AC.ZA
                              Message 14 of 24 , Sep 3, 1998
                                From: scanlin@...
                                Date: Wed, 2 Sep 1998 17:47:54 -0400
                                Subject: Re: tc-list "not" in Isaiah 9:3
                                To: "INTERNET:tc-list@..." <tc-list@...>

                                The lo [with aleph] we lo [with waw] ketiv-qere variant is a famous
                                Masoretic phenomenon which occurs 17 times in the Hebrew Bible, including
                                Isa 9.2. (See Weil: MM 1795 for the list.) Bruno Ognibeni, in Tradizioni
                                orali di letture e testo ebraico della Bibbia: studio de diciassette ketiv
                                l' / qere lw (Fribourg, 1989) says that in every instance the context may
                                be considered ambiguous. (For convenience, see the short review of
                                Ognibeni in CBQ 53(1991):681-2.) O.'s textual analysis of Isa 9.2 is on
                                pp. 95-99.

                                Harold P. Scanlin
                                United Bible Societies
                                1865 Broadway
                                New York, NY 10023
                                scanlin@...

                                I addressed the orthography of the large Isaiah scroll in the
                                Festschrift for Millik published in Krakow.

                                Prof. Johann Cook
                                Department of Ancient Near Eastern Studies
                                University of Stellenbosch
                                7600 Stellenbosch
                                SOUTH AFRICA
                                tel 22-21-8083207
                                fax: 22-21-8083480
                              • Ronald L. Minton
                                Message 15 of 24 , Sep 8, 1998
                                  I need the page #s of James F. Mosley "Tyndale's Supper of the Lord"
                                  _Notes and Quires_ Nov. 21, 1942. Does anyone have them handy?

                                  Prof. Ron Minton
                                  rminton@... (417)833-9581
                                  5379 North Farm Road 179
                                  Springfield, MO 65803
                                • tc-list-owner

                                        Message 19 of 24 , Aug 31, 1999
[...]

                                          List archives may also be accessed on the Web at
[...]

                                          ATLA Center for Electronic Texts in Religion
                                          486 Castleaire Dr.
                                          Stone Mountain, GA 30087