Re: tc-list Peter Katz (Walters)

  • Bernard Taylor
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 22, 1998
      E. Habas wrote:

      > If this indeed was the case, did he volunteer to fight?

      I doubt it, given the date of his graduation. Let me set out what I know:

      1. His original name was Peter Katz
      2. He fled from Nazi Germany
      3. He graduated with a PhD from University of Cambridge (as Peter Katz) in 1945

      4. He subsequently changed his name to Peter Walters

      D. W. Gooding writing in the preface to the posthumous publication of Walters'
      dissertation (The Text of the Septuagint. Its corruptions and their emendation.
      Cambridge, 1973), speaking of his regret that Walters did not get to complete
      Part Two, says:

      This is a great pity; but when one considers that difficult and trying
      circumstances
      under which Dr Walters had to work both before and after his flight from
      Hitler's
      Germany, the amazing thing is that he accomplished so much.

      Regards,

      Bernard Taylor