Re: tc-list Peter Katz (Walters)

  • E. Habas
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 22, 1998
      >Jimmy,
      >
      >My understanding is that he took refuge in England from the Nazis, and
      >started a new life complete with a new name.
      >
      >Regards,
      >
      >Bernard Taylor

      If this indeed was the case, did he volunteer to fight? I happen to know
      that Jewish refugees in Britain who enlisted were encouraged to change
      their names so that in case they become POWs they would at least not be
      identified as Jews. A relative of mine, born in Leipzig, not only changed
      his last name upon enlisting, but also acquired a good Scottish middle name
      (Leslie) which would hopefully account for his somewhat-not-perfect accent
      if he ever became a prisoner.

      Effie
    • Bernard Taylor
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 22, 1998
        E. Habas wrote:

        > If this indeed was the case, did he volunteer to fight?

        I doubt it, given the date of his graduation. Let me set out what I know:

        1. His original name was Peter Katz
        2. He fled from Nazi Germany
        3. He graduated with a PhD from University of Cambridge (as Peter Katz) in 1945

        4. He subsequently changed his name to Peter Walters

        D. W. Gooding writing in the preface to the posthumous publication of Walters'
        dissertation (The Text of the Septuagint. Its corruptions and their emendation.
        Cambridge, 1973), speaking of his regret that Walters did not get to complete
        Part Two, says:

        This is a great pity; but when one considers that difficult and trying
        circumstances
        under which Dr Walters had to work both before and after his flight from
        Hitler's
        Germany, the amazing thing is that he accomplished so much.

        Regards,

        Bernard Taylor