Re: tc-list Peter Katz (Walters)

  • Matthew Bell
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 20, 1998
      > Since his name was mentioned in a recent post to this list, and since
      > traffic on the list has been rather light lately, I'm reminded that I've
      > wondered for several years what the story was behind the name change (or
      > whatever) from Peter Katz to Peter Walters (he was a LXX scholar). Does
      > anybody on the list know?

      MATT BELL
      Anyone know of good URL's (email lists) which deal with the origins of the
      LXX?

      Thanks
      Matt Bell
    • Jonathan Dixon
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 21, 1998
        Does anyone know any of and email lists that deal with the canon and
        structure of the Scripture?

        Jonathan
        If any man thinks that he knows anything, he knows not yet as he ought to
        know; but if any man loves God, the same is known by him." (1 Cor. 8:2-3)
        Jonathan M. Dixon
        (Student, Atlantic Baptist University)

        c/o Atlantic Baptist University
        Box 6004 Moncton, NB, Canada
        E1C 9L7

        dylan-j@...
        jondixon@...

        ICQ# 7216071

        My Home Page: http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Forum/3342/
        My Online Bible Site: http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Academy/8373/
      • George Howard
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 21, 1998
          James,
          I don't know the reason for the name change, but I think the change was
          from Peter Walters to Peter Katz.
          George Howard
          UGA

          James R. Adair wrote:

          > Since his name was mentioned in a recent post to this list, and since
          > traffic on the list has been rather light lately, I'm reminded that I've
          > wondered for several years what the story was behind the name change (or
          > whatever) from Peter Katz to Peter Walters (he was a LXX scholar). Does
          > anybody on the list know?
          >
          > Jimmy Adair
          > Manager of Information Technology Services, Scholars Press
          > and
          > Managing Editor of TELA, the Scholars Press World Wide Web Site
          > -------------> http://shemesh.scholar.emory.edu <--------------
        • E. Habas
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 22, 1998
            >Jimmy,
            >
            >My understanding is that he took refuge in England from the Nazis, and
            >started a new life complete with a new name.
            >
            >Regards,
            >
            >Bernard Taylor

            If this indeed was the case, did he volunteer to fight? I happen to know
            that Jewish refugees in Britain who enlisted were encouraged to change
            their names so that in case they become POWs they would at least not be
            identified as Jews. A relative of mine, born in Leipzig, not only changed
            his last name upon enlisting, but also acquired a good Scottish middle name
            (Leslie) which would hopefully account for his somewhat-not-perfect accent
            if he ever became a prisoner.

            Effie
          • Bernard Taylor
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 22, 1998
              E. Habas wrote:

              > If this indeed was the case, did he volunteer to fight?

              I doubt it, given the date of his graduation. Let me set out what I know:

              1. His original name was Peter Katz
              2. He fled from Nazi Germany
              3. He graduated with a PhD from University of Cambridge (as Peter Katz) in 1945

              4. He subsequently changed his name to Peter Walters

              D. W. Gooding writing in the preface to the posthumous publication of Walters'
              dissertation (The Text of the Septuagint. Its corruptions and their emendation.
              Cambridge, 1973), speaking of his regret that Walters did not get to complete
              Part Two, says:

              This is a great pity; but when one considers that difficult and trying
              circumstances
              under which Dr Walters had to work both before and after his flight from
              Hitler's
              Germany, the amazing thing is that he accomplished so much.

              Regards,

              Bernard Taylor