tc-list Peter Katz (Walters)

  • James R. Adair
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 20, 1998
      Since his name was mentioned in a recent post to this list, and since
      traffic on the list has been rather light lately, I'm reminded that I've
      wondered for several years what the story was behind the name change (or
      whatever) from Peter Katz to Peter Walters (he was a LXX scholar). Does
      anybody on the list know?

      Jimmy Adair
      and
      -------------> http://shemesh.scholar.emory.edu <--------------
    • Bernard Taylor
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 20, 1998
        James R. Adair wrote:

        > Since his name was mentioned in a recent post to this list, and since
        > traffic on the list has been rather light lately, I'm reminded that I've
        > wondered for several years what the story was behind the name change (or
        > whatever) from Peter Katz to Peter Walters (he was a LXX scholar). Does
        > anybody on the list know?

        Jimmy,

        My understanding is that he took refuge in England from the Nazis, and
        started a new life complete with a new name.

        Regards,

        Bernard Taylor
      • Matthew Bell
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 20, 1998
          > Since his name was mentioned in a recent post to this list, and since
          > traffic on the list has been rather light lately, I'm reminded that I've
          > wondered for several years what the story was behind the name change (or
          > whatever) from Peter Katz to Peter Walters (he was a LXX scholar). Does
          > anybody on the list know?

          MATT BELL
          Anyone know of good URL's (email lists) which deal with the origins of the
          LXX?

          Thanks
          Matt Bell
        • Jonathan Dixon
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 21, 1998
            Does anyone know any of and email lists that deal with the canon and
            structure of the Scripture?

            Jonathan
            If any man thinks that he knows anything, he knows not yet as he ought to
            know; but if any man loves God, the same is known by him." (1 Cor. 8:2-3)
            Jonathan M. Dixon
            (Student, Atlantic Baptist University)

            c/o Atlantic Baptist University
            Box 6004 Moncton, NB, Canada
            E1C 9L7

            dylan-j@...
            jondixon@...

            ICQ# 7216071

            My Home Page: http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Forum/3342/
            My Online Bible Site: http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Academy/8373/
          • George Howard
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 21, 1998
              James,
              I don't know the reason for the name change, but I think the change was
              from Peter Walters to Peter Katz.
              George Howard
              UGA

              James R. Adair wrote:

              > Since his name was mentioned in a recent post to this list, and since
              > traffic on the list has been rather light lately, I'm reminded that I've
              > wondered for several years what the story was behind the name change (or
              > whatever) from Peter Katz to Peter Walters (he was a LXX scholar). Does
              > anybody on the list know?
              >
              > Jimmy Adair
              > Manager of Information Technology Services, Scholars Press
              > and
              > Managing Editor of TELA, the Scholars Press World Wide Web Site
              > -------------> http://shemesh.scholar.emory.edu <--------------
            • E. Habas
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 22, 1998
                >Jimmy,
                >
                >My understanding is that he took refuge in England from the Nazis, and
                >started a new life complete with a new name.
                >
                >Regards,
                >
                >Bernard Taylor

                If this indeed was the case, did he volunteer to fight? I happen to know
                that Jewish refugees in Britain who enlisted were encouraged to change
                their names so that in case they become POWs they would at least not be
                identified as Jews. A relative of mine, born in Leipzig, not only changed
                his last name upon enlisting, but also acquired a good Scottish middle name
                (Leslie) which would hopefully account for his somewhat-not-perfect accent
                if he ever became a prisoner.

                Effie
              • Bernard Taylor
                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 22, 1998
                  E. Habas wrote:

                  > If this indeed was the case, did he volunteer to fight?

                  I doubt it, given the date of his graduation. Let me set out what I know:

                  1. His original name was Peter Katz
                  2. He fled from Nazi Germany
                  3. He graduated with a PhD from University of Cambridge (as Peter Katz) in 1945

                  4. He subsequently changed his name to Peter Walters

                  D. W. Gooding writing in the preface to the posthumous publication of Walters'
                  dissertation (The Text of the Septuagint. Its corruptions and their emendation.
                  Cambridge, 1973), speaking of his regret that Walters did not get to complete
                  Part Two, says:

                  This is a great pity; but when one considers that difficult and trying
                  circumstances
                  under which Dr Walters had to work both before and after his flight from
                  Hitler's
                  Germany, the amazing thing is that he accomplished so much.

                  Regards,

                  Bernard Taylor