Re: tc-list Philo's use of the LXX

  • Steve Carson-Rowland
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 17, 1998
      STEVE CR wrote:
      Can anyone tell me which text type Philo Judaeus used. I have 'The Works of
      Philo; Complete and Unabridged' tr. C.D. Yonge, and Philo makes reference
      to the LXX (the letter of Aristeas story) in 'On the life of Moses II'.
      However, the editor of the volume makes no mention of the text type that
      Philo used.

      SEPPO SIPILA
      All I can say right now is that on his study "Philo's Bible" (Cambridge
      University Press 1950) Peter Katz (Walters) argued that during the
      transmission of Philo's works the biblical citations were changed to
      correspond the "later" form of the LXX, mainly the Lucianic text. If he is
      correct, we do not have the "text type Philo Judaeus used" in his extant
      works any more.
      [snip]
      STEVE CR
      My question was a little more basic to begin with.. I wanted to know, did
      Philo use the LXX or the MT? I'm assuming the LXX, but I'd like to be sure.

      Thanks,

      Steve Carson-Rowland
      Queensland - Land of Eternal Summer