tc-list Shabat Shalom

  • Jack Kilmon
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 11 9:20 PM
      Well, fellow TCers, today is a Shabat haGadol, just as it
      was 1,968 years ago. We will continue to research and discuss the
      historical Jesus, putting him, like a specimen, under the microscope
      of historical analysis. We will never really know why this one
      special person...perhaps the most special of all persons...captured
      so fully the minds and imaginations of so many at a time of so
      many crossroads, and the hostility of so many. He came from a
      small obscure satellite village in the hills of the Galilee and
      left leaving, more than anyone in history, an indelible mark on
      all the billions who would make up the future. He taught a
      message so profound and so true that very few of those billions,
      if any, could live up to it, even those who championed his
      cause and rang his name to future generations. Was he the
      *Son of God?* I don't know..with all my books, reading,
      thinking, historical analysis, linguistic and textual
      research...I don't know. The only thing that I do know is
      that if he was the example of his messages, he certainly
      was the "Sonnest" of God compared to all who would follow
      him. As the meteor crater in Arizona bears witness to an
      object that struck the earth but has disappeared, the
      event we celebrate tommorow, just like that impact crater in
      the dust of the desert, bears witness that *something*
      extremely unusual happened following that Pesach so
      long ago.
      We will continue to discuss it, to dissect it, to
      analyze it from many disciplinary approaches. We will
      continue to lift the historical person from the cacaphony
      of myths and legend, removing the miracles and dogmas...
      but I wonder if when the historical Jesus, that Y'shua
      bar Yosef, stands before us, stripped of his his
      ecclesiastical raiment, we will not find that person
      himself...as Walt Whitman would say..."Miracle enough
      to stagger sextillions of infidels."

      Happy Easter all

      Jack

      --