tc-list First church-

  • David W. Odell-Scott
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 31, 1998
      First point. As to the status of 1 Cor 14:34-35. Jack Kilmon wrote that "In
      this respect, I think we can indeed look to Corinth and Paul's reminder for
      the women to keep silent, hence I don't think that this is a later
      interpolation." I have argued that vv 34-35 were quotations from a letter
      from Corinth to which Paul replied in v 36. I contend that the reply at v
      36 critiques the arrogance of those who assert their superiority over women,
      and therefore rejects the silencing of women in worship. In summary, the
      quotation (vv 34-35) expresses the views of a faction in Corinth whose views
      Paul quotes and critiques in his reply at v 36. Therefore, on this reading,
      I contend that I Tim 2:11-12 is not an echo of Paul's position, but if it
      is an echo of 1 Corinthians, it is an echo of Paul's opponents. So, the
      dating of Timothy does not aid the present discussion regarding the first
      church with respect to Corinth.

      Second point. Jack's contention that EKKLHSIA is from EKKLEIW (meaning "to
      shut out" or "to turn out of doors") of course plays upon the sense of
      EKKLHSIA as an assembly of citizens in a city. And our quick assumption
      that Paul means by EKKLHSIA "a" or "the" "church" may be to confuse very
      different conceptions of community. The EKKLHSIA as understood by Paul may
      not resemble the synagogue or the church, but may be expressive of an idea
      of community which Paul hopes for.

      Third point. It might be the case that many of the peoples who became
      christians in Corinth were not associated with a synagogue or made
      identification with the Jewish religious and cultural traditions. So, to
      suggest that everyone in the Corinthian Christian community had to go
      through some transformation in order to allow women into the gathering or
      that women in the cult was a "novelty" for them is to make what I judge to
      be questionable assumptions about the social, cultural and religious
      backgrounds of the population who identified themselves to be Christians in
      Corinth. The city of Rome-Corinth was populated by diverse peoples drawn
      from many different regions of the Roman empire.

      David W. Odell-Scott

      Associate Professor of Philosophy
      Coordinator of Religious Studies

      Philosophy Department