RE: tc-list Psalms

  • Curt Niccum
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 25, 1998
      Jonathan,

      To which Psalter or editorship do you refer? Current Psalters vary in
      number (cf. the English, Hebrew, Greek, and Syriac). Even the numbering
      system in BHS differs (compare the chapters indicated with Roman
      numerals with those marked by Hebrew letters). The ancient evidence
      exhibits even more variation. For a Davidic focus in editing, you will
      certainly want to look at "David's Compositions" in 11QPsa-a (col.
      XXVII). Even here, however, a Davidic focus (or perhaps better,
      "presence") is presumed. At least in the first few centuries before the
      common era, the main issue appears to be the Psalter's relationship to
      the two established categories of authoritative writings, the Law and
      the Prophets, and not some connection to king David. "David's
      Compositions" and exegesis at Qumran and in the New Testament attest
      close ties to the Prophets. On the other hand, it is likely that Psalm 1
      was an early appendage to connect the Psalter with the Torah. (Note the
      variation in Acts 13:33 which changes "second Psalm" to "first Psalm."
      Although it is possible that some mss may have considered the first two
      Psalms as one, since there is a distinct change in tone and context, it
      is more likely that there were still some Psalters circulating, whether
      Hebrew or Greek, without our Psalm 1.) Refining your question might help
      others on the tc-list direct you to more useful sources.

      Curt Niccum