Re: tc-list Lk 16.19 in D and old syriac ?

  • Roderic L. Mullen
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 7, 1998
      Indeed, both Burkitt's edition of the SyrC and Lewis' edition of SyrS
      indicate that SyrC is lacunose at from 16:12 to 17:1, but the bibliographic
      note on p.66* in NA27 indicates that an article in Biblica 68 (1987): 85-88,
      contains the missing page of SyrC. --Rod Mullen

      At 01:15 AM 3/8/98 +0100, you wrote:
      >I don't understand what I see in the apparatus of NA27 about this
      >passage. According to NA27, there's a short addition at the beginning of
      >the verse (EIPEN DE KAI ETERAN PARABOLHN) which is supported by D and
      >syc. The curetonian Syriac is put between parentheses, which probably
      >means that there's a small difference with the Greek text cited from D.
      >
      >Now here's my problem: when I look at Metzger EVNT p. 37 (and at my
      >Syriac editions!), I see that the curetonian manuscript doesn't contain
      >this text, neither do the additional folios discovered later (the one
      >closest to our text stops at 16.12).
      >
      >My question then is twofold: (1) which is the source for the inclusion of
      >syc in the apparatus of NA, and (2) what is its text?
      >
      >Origin of the question: I just discovered the same variant in one of my
      >Arabic manuscripts - so this would be one of the rare instances where it
      >has a variant that is distinctively Western.
      >
      >Any help will be greatly appreciated, as this relates to my thesis!
      >
      >Thank you,
      >
      >Jean V.

      >Jean Valentin - Bruxelles - Belgique
      >e-mail: jgvalentin@...
      >"Als liefde het antwoord is, kunt U dan misschien de vraag nog een keer
      >stellen?"

    • Ronald Minton
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 7, 1998
        I am interested in reading some recent theses or doctoral dissertations
        (in English and from the 1990s) that deal with textual criticism and/or
        translation issues. I recently read dissertations by James A. Price and
        Timothy J. Ralston. Any additional suggestions will be appreciated.
        --
        Prof. Ron Minton: rminton@... W (417)268-6053 H 833-9581
        Baptist Bible Graduate School 628 E. Kearney St. Springfield, MO 65803
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 9, 1998
          >I am interested in reading some recent theses or doctoral dissertations
          >(in English and from the 1990s) that deal with textual criticism and/or
          >translation issues. I recently read dissertations by James A. Price and
          >Timothy J. Ralston. Any additional suggestions will be appreciated.
          >--
          >Prof. Ron Minton: rminton@... W (417)268-6053 H 833-9581
          >Baptist Bible Graduate School 628 E. Kearney St. Springfield, MO 65803

          I suggest you read:

          M. Bakker, Towards a Critical Edition of the Old Slavic New Testament,
          Diss. Amsterdam 1996.

          This book has been reviewed on this list and you'll find it in its
          archives. Bakker has a lot of real critical remarks on textual criticism,
          and they are not limited to the Slavic version of the NT.

          An other book you could turn to, but dealing more with translations and in
          a less critical tone, is:

          S.C. Munger, Russian New Testaments, a comparative study, Diss Amsterdam
          (VU = Free University), 1966.

          Johannes G. van der Tak

          Johannes G. van der Tak
          Slavic Seminar, University of Amsterdam
          Spuistraat 210,
          1012 VT Amsterdam/NL
          Tel.: (+31) 20 525 38 11/Fax: (+31) 20 525 3052
          Private: Icaruslaan 18,
          NL 1185 JM Amstelveen
          Tel/fax: (+31) 20 641 45 28
          E-mail: joannest@...
        • Dr Johann Cook
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 9, 1998
            > Date: Sat, 7 Mar 1998 21:26:50 -0600 (Central Standard Time)
            > From: Ronald Minton <rminton@...>
            > To: TC-List <tc-list@...>
            > Subject: tc-list Dissertations

            > I am interested in reading some recent theses or doctoral dissertations
            > (in English and from the 1990s) that deal with textual criticism and/or
            > translation issues. I recently read dissertations by James A. Price and
            > Timothy J. Ralston. Any additional suggestions will be appreciated.
            > --
            > Prof. Ron Minton: rminton@... W (417)268-6053 H 833-9581
            > Baptist Bible Graduate School 628 E. Kearney St. Springfield, MO 65803

            I recommend you read Jimmy Adair's dissertation.

            Prof. Johann Cook
            Department of Ancient Near Eastern Studies
            University of Stellenbosch
            7600 Stellenbosch
            SOUTH AFRICA
            tel 22-21-8083207