Re: tc-list Locating a reading in Lectionary 866

  • HPS.Bakker@nias.knaw.nl
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 2, 1998
      >1. I need to locate the reading of Mark 1:41 and its Synoptic parallels
      >in Lectionary 866.
      >2. Hence, I need to know something about the layout of such 12th century
      >lectionary texts. Any advice (bibliographical or otherwise) would be
      >quite welcome.
      >3. If one version of the cleansing of the leper is contained in this MS,
      >would the parallel accounts also be there?
      >4. Does anyone know how to get in contact with J. Karavidopoulos of the
      >Lectionaries Research Center of the University of Thessaloniki? He is the
      >person responsible for selecting the lectionary texts for inclusion in the
      >apparatus of the UBSGNT4. The intro to UBSGNT4 mentions that "the
      >lectionaries . . . have . . . been thoroughly reviewed, with a fresh
      >selection of manuscripts and completely new collations." This suggests to
      >me that there may be a collation of Lectionary 866 available someplace.
      >Does anyone know how I can get ahold of that information?

      If you have to deal with NT lectionaries, it is very handy to have the
      lectionary books currently in use in the Greek Orthodox Church available. I
      bought an Apostolos and Gospel lectionary in Thessaloniki, but you probably
      can also order it from the church publisher: Apostoliki Diakonia (address:
      Iasiou 1, 11521 Athens).

      The text contained in these editions is basically Byzantine. Antioniadis,
      who was mainly responsible for this work conducted under the auspices of
      the Patriarchate of Constantinople, relied in the first place on lectionary
      MSS (in the places where no lections are read, continuous-text MSS were of
      course used). An enlightening publication of Yannis Karavidopoulos is 'L'
      Edition patriarcale du Nouveau Testament (1904)' in Kleronomia XX (1988):

      The current Greek NT lectionaries are of course only the final stage of a
      liturgical development of many centuries. From my own experience, however,
      I know that especially in the most stable part of a lectionary, the
      synaxarion (dependent on the Easter-cycle), has not has changed much during
      the last 1000 years (the Menologion, with its feasts and saints, is more
      dependent on the fashion of the day). It is probably indicative that the
      study I use most is only available in Bulgarian. It is written by B.D.
      Tchiflianof and tries to reconstruct the services translated in the 9th
      century by SS. Cyril and Methodius into Old Slavic (I will try to find out
      about the Greek translation that was being planned).

      With the caveat regarding the liturgical development in mind, here follow
      the days on which the appropriate lections are read:

      Mark 1:35-44 Saturday of the second week in Great Lent (Nhsteiwn)
      Luke 5:12-16 Tuesday of the second week of Lukan lections (after Matthean
      Matt 7:24-29 & 8:1-4: Saturday of the third week of Matthean lections.

      Good luck!

      Michael Bakker

      Dr H.P.S. Bakker

      Netherlands Institute for Advanced Study (NIAS)
      Meijboomlaan 1
      2242 PR Wassenaar
      The Netherlands
      tel.: +31 70 512 2700