Re: tc-list Locating a reading in Lectionary 866

  • Roderic L. Mullen
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 2, 1998
      Most microfilm readers have the capability to make paper copies, so even if
      you have to return the microfilm you could have a copy of the pertinent
      section. --rlm

    • HPS.Bakker@nias.knaw.nl
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 2, 1998
        >1. I need to locate the reading of Mark 1:41 and its Synoptic parallels
        >in Lectionary 866.
        >2. Hence, I need to know something about the layout of such 12th century
        >lectionary texts. Any advice (bibliographical or otherwise) would be
        >quite welcome.
        >3. If one version of the cleansing of the leper is contained in this MS,
        >would the parallel accounts also be there?
        >4. Does anyone know how to get in contact with J. Karavidopoulos of the
        >Lectionaries Research Center of the University of Thessaloniki? He is the
        >person responsible for selecting the lectionary texts for inclusion in the
        >apparatus of the UBSGNT4. The intro to UBSGNT4 mentions that "the
        >lectionaries . . . have . . . been thoroughly reviewed, with a fresh
        >selection of manuscripts and completely new collations." This suggests to
        >me that there may be a collation of Lectionary 866 available someplace.
        >Does anyone know how I can get ahold of that information?

        If you have to deal with NT lectionaries, it is very handy to have the
        lectionary books currently in use in the Greek Orthodox Church available. I
        bought an Apostolos and Gospel lectionary in Thessaloniki, but you probably
        can also order it from the church publisher: Apostoliki Diakonia (address:
        Iasiou 1, 11521 Athens).

        The text contained in these editions is basically Byzantine. Antioniadis,
        who was mainly responsible for this work conducted under the auspices of
        the Patriarchate of Constantinople, relied in the first place on lectionary
        MSS (in the places where no lections are read, continuous-text MSS were of
        course used). An enlightening publication of Yannis Karavidopoulos is 'L'
        Edition patriarcale du Nouveau Testament (1904)' in Kleronomia XX (1988):
        195-204.

        The current Greek NT lectionaries are of course only the final stage of a
        liturgical development of many centuries. From my own experience, however,
        I know that especially in the most stable part of a lectionary, the
        synaxarion (dependent on the Easter-cycle), has not has changed much during
        the last 1000 years (the Menologion, with its feasts and saints, is more
        dependent on the fashion of the day). It is probably indicative that the
        study I use most is only available in Bulgarian. It is written by B.D.
        Tchiflianof and tries to reconstruct the services translated in the 9th
        century by SS. Cyril and Methodius into Old Slavic (I will try to find out
        about the Greek translation that was being planned).

        With the caveat regarding the liturgical development in mind, here follow
        the days on which the appropriate lections are read:

        Mark 1:35-44 Saturday of the second week in Great Lent (Nhsteiwn)
        Luke 5:12-16 Tuesday of the second week of Lukan lections (after Matthean
        lections)
        Matt 7:24-29 & 8:1-4: Saturday of the third week of Matthean lections.

        Good luck!

        Michael Bakker

        Dr H.P.S. Bakker

        Netherlands Institute for Advanced Study (NIAS)
        Meijboomlaan 1
        2242 PR Wassenaar
        The Netherlands
        tel.: +31 70 512 2700