Re: tc-list Locating a reading in Lectionary 866

  • Richard D. Weis
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 1, 1998
      Dear Colleagues,

      Mark Proctor inquires:

      > 4. Does anyone know how to get in contact with J. Karavidopoulos of the =
      > Lectionaries Research Center of the University of Thessaloniki?

      Have you asked the ABMC in Claremont (not Berkeley), from which you
      got the microfilm, about contact information for Prof.
      Karavidopoulos? If I'm not mistaken, they have carried on
      conversations with the institute in Thessaloniki.

      Regards,
      Richard Weis
      Richard D. Weis rweis@...
      New Brunswick Theological Seminary phone: 1-732-246-5613
      17 Seminary Place FAX: 1-732-249-5412
      New Brunswick, NJ 08901-1196 USA
    • Mark and Wendy Proctor
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 1, 1998
        I was able to locate Prof. Karavidopoulos' e-mail address on the U. of
        Thessaloniki's home page. Hope he replies soon since I only have the
        microfilm copy of Lectionary 866 until the 13th of this month. I have
        looked at the Aland's intro text, but its discussion of the Byzantine
        lectionary system is somewhat sketchy (as one might expect in a work of this
        nature). I'll follow the other hints and do my best.

        Thanks for your help everyone,

        Mark
        >> 4. Does anyone know how to get in contact with J. Karavidopoulos of the
        =
        >> Lectionaries Research Center of the University of Thessaloniki?
        >
        >Have you asked the ABMC in Claremont (not Berkeley), from which you
        >got the microfilm, about contact information for Prof.
        >Karavidopoulos? If I'm not mistaken, they have carried on
        >conversations with the institute in Thessaloniki.
        >
        >Regards,
        >Richard Weis
        ****
        >Richard D. Weis
        rweis@...
        >New Brunswick Theological Seminary phone: 1-732-246-5613
        >17 Seminary Place FAX: 1-732-249-5412
        >New Brunswick, NJ 08901-1196 USA
        ****

      • Roderic L. Mullen
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 2, 1998
          Most microfilm readers have the capability to make paper copies, so even if
          you have to return the microfilm you could have a copy of the pertinent
          section. --rlm

        • HPS.Bakker@nias.knaw.nl
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 2, 1998
            >1. I need to locate the reading of Mark 1:41 and its Synoptic parallels
            >in Lectionary 866.
            >2. Hence, I need to know something about the layout of such 12th century
            >lectionary texts. Any advice (bibliographical or otherwise) would be
            >quite welcome.
            >3. If one version of the cleansing of the leper is contained in this MS,
            >would the parallel accounts also be there?
            >4. Does anyone know how to get in contact with J. Karavidopoulos of the
            >Lectionaries Research Center of the University of Thessaloniki? He is the
            >person responsible for selecting the lectionary texts for inclusion in the
            >apparatus of the UBSGNT4. The intro to UBSGNT4 mentions that "the
            >lectionaries . . . have . . . been thoroughly reviewed, with a fresh
            >selection of manuscripts and completely new collations." This suggests to
            >me that there may be a collation of Lectionary 866 available someplace.
            >Does anyone know how I can get ahold of that information?

            If you have to deal with NT lectionaries, it is very handy to have the
            lectionary books currently in use in the Greek Orthodox Church available. I
            bought an Apostolos and Gospel lectionary in Thessaloniki, but you probably
            can also order it from the church publisher: Apostoliki Diakonia (address:
            Iasiou 1, 11521 Athens).

            The text contained in these editions is basically Byzantine. Antioniadis,
            who was mainly responsible for this work conducted under the auspices of
            the Patriarchate of Constantinople, relied in the first place on lectionary
            MSS (in the places where no lections are read, continuous-text MSS were of
            course used). An enlightening publication of Yannis Karavidopoulos is 'L'
            Edition patriarcale du Nouveau Testament (1904)' in Kleronomia XX (1988):
            195-204.

            The current Greek NT lectionaries are of course only the final stage of a
            liturgical development of many centuries. From my own experience, however,
            I know that especially in the most stable part of a lectionary, the
            synaxarion (dependent on the Easter-cycle), has not has changed much during
            the last 1000 years (the Menologion, with its feasts and saints, is more
            dependent on the fashion of the day). It is probably indicative that the
            study I use most is only available in Bulgarian. It is written by B.D.
            Tchiflianof and tries to reconstruct the services translated in the 9th
            century by SS. Cyril and Methodius into Old Slavic (I will try to find out
            about the Greek translation that was being planned).

            With the caveat regarding the liturgical development in mind, here follow
            the days on which the appropriate lections are read:

            Mark 1:35-44 Saturday of the second week in Great Lent (Nhsteiwn)
            Luke 5:12-16 Tuesday of the second week of Lukan lections (after Matthean
            lections)
            Matt 7:24-29 & 8:1-4: Saturday of the third week of Matthean lections.

            Good luck!

            Michael Bakker

            Dr H.P.S. Bakker

            Netherlands Institute for Advanced Study (NIAS)
            Meijboomlaan 1
            2242 PR Wassenaar
            The Netherlands
            tel.: +31 70 512 2700