Re: tc-list Locating a reading in Lectionary 866

  • Jean VALENTIN
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 31, 1969
      >1. I need to locate the reading of Mark 1:41 and its Synoptic parallels
      >in Lectionary 866.
      Judging from the Syropalestinian and Arabic lectionaries on which I'm
      working, the pericope which you are searching should be included in your
      lectionary.

      Aland TNT has a chpater on the lectionaries (p. 160 of the English
      edition) in which the general structure of the Byzantine lectionary is
      shortly presented.

      The edition of the Syropalestinian lectionary (Lewis-Gibson) has a table
      of the readings. This should help you locate your passage by the
      comparison with your Greek manuscript. It can take you some time, but I
      am confident that you will find it!

      Jean V.

      Jean Valentin - Bruxelles - Belgique
      e-mail: jgvalentin@...
      "Als liefde het antwoord is, kunt U dan misschien de vraag nog een keer
      stellen?"
    • Richard D. Weis
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 1, 1998
        Dear Colleagues,

        Mark Proctor inquires:

        > 4. Does anyone know how to get in contact with J. Karavidopoulos of the =
        > Lectionaries Research Center of the University of Thessaloniki?

        Have you asked the ABMC in Claremont (not Berkeley), from which you
        got the microfilm, about contact information for Prof.
        Karavidopoulos? If I'm not mistaken, they have carried on
        conversations with the institute in Thessaloniki.

        Regards,
        Richard Weis
        Richard D. Weis rweis@...
        New Brunswick Theological Seminary phone: 1-732-246-5613
        17 Seminary Place FAX: 1-732-249-5412
        New Brunswick, NJ 08901-1196 USA
      • Mark and Wendy Proctor
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 1, 1998
          A few weeks ago I sent a message to the group requesting some information on Lectionary 866.  From the help I received at that time I was able to locate and borrow a microfilm copy of this text through the Ancient Biblical Manuscripts Center in Berkely, CA.  Now I have a whole new set of problems.

          First, I need some help in locating the reading I need within the Lectionary.  The readings in question are Mark 1:40-45 (the cleansing of the leper story) and the Synoptic parallels in Matt 8:1-4 and Luke 5:12-16.  Lectionary 866 is a 12th century MS that is a total of 286 pages long.  It is listed in the apparatus of the UBSGNT4 for the variant at Mark 1:41, and therein lies my interest in this particular text.  Since my paleographical skills are next to non-existant, and since I am not familiar with the layout of lectionary texts such as this one, I thought I would make my plea for help to the TC discussion group.  I called a local Greek Orthodox Church and inquired about when Mark 1:40-45 fell in their lectionary schedule only to learn that the Lukan account was the only version of this story that they still read.  The priest said that Luke 5:12-16 is read during the second week of Lukan readings on a Tuesday.  Is this accurate, or is there some difference in the lectionary system of the 12th and 20th centuries?  I assumed this system was fairly old and well-established, but perhaps I am wrong.  I feel as if I'm rambling a bit, so I'll list my needs below:

          1.  I need to locate the reading of Mark 1:41 and its Synoptic parallels in Lectionary 866.
          2.  Hence, I need to know something about the layout of such 12th century lectionary texts.  Any advice (bibliographical or otherwise) would be quite welcome.
          3. If one version of the cleansing of the leper is contained in this MS, would the parallel accounts also be there?
          4.  Does anyone know how to get in contact with J. Karavidopoulos of the Lectionaries Research Center of the University of Thessaloniki?  He is the person responsible for selecting the lectionary texts for inclusion in the apparatus of the UBSGNT4.  The intro to UBSGNT4 mentions that "the lectionaries . . . have . . . been thoroughly reviewed, with a fresh selection of manuscripts and completely new collations."  This suggests to me that there may be a collation of Lectionary 866 available someplace.  Does anyone know how I can get ahold of that information?

          Well, that's enough for now.  Please help me if you can.

          Sincerely,

          Mark Proctor
        • Mark and Wendy Proctor
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 1, 1998
            I was able to locate Prof. Karavidopoulos' e-mail address on the U. of
            Thessaloniki's home page. Hope he replies soon since I only have the
            microfilm copy of Lectionary 866 until the 13th of this month. I have
            looked at the Aland's intro text, but its discussion of the Byzantine
            lectionary system is somewhat sketchy (as one might expect in a work of this
            nature). I'll follow the other hints and do my best.

            Thanks for your help everyone,

            Mark
            >> 4. Does anyone know how to get in contact with J. Karavidopoulos of the
            =
            >> Lectionaries Research Center of the University of Thessaloniki?
            >
            >Have you asked the ABMC in Claremont (not Berkeley), from which you
            >got the microfilm, about contact information for Prof.
            >Karavidopoulos? If I'm not mistaken, they have carried on
            >conversations with the institute in Thessaloniki.
            >
            >Regards,
            >Richard Weis
            ****
            >Richard D. Weis
            rweis@...
            >New Brunswick Theological Seminary phone: 1-732-246-5613
            >17 Seminary Place FAX: 1-732-249-5412
            >New Brunswick, NJ 08901-1196 USA
            ****

          • Roderic L. Mullen
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 2, 1998
              Most microfilm readers have the capability to make paper copies, so even if
              you have to return the microfilm you could have a copy of the pertinent
              section. --rlm

            • HPS.Bakker@nias.knaw.nl
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 2, 1998
                >1. I need to locate the reading of Mark 1:41 and its Synoptic parallels
                >in Lectionary 866.
                >2. Hence, I need to know something about the layout of such 12th century
                >lectionary texts. Any advice (bibliographical or otherwise) would be
                >quite welcome.
                >3. If one version of the cleansing of the leper is contained in this MS,
                >would the parallel accounts also be there?
                >4. Does anyone know how to get in contact with J. Karavidopoulos of the
                >Lectionaries Research Center of the University of Thessaloniki? He is the
                >person responsible for selecting the lectionary texts for inclusion in the
                >apparatus of the UBSGNT4. The intro to UBSGNT4 mentions that "the
                >lectionaries . . . have . . . been thoroughly reviewed, with a fresh
                >selection of manuscripts and completely new collations." This suggests to
                >me that there may be a collation of Lectionary 866 available someplace.
                >Does anyone know how I can get ahold of that information?

                If you have to deal with NT lectionaries, it is very handy to have the
                lectionary books currently in use in the Greek Orthodox Church available. I
                bought an Apostolos and Gospel lectionary in Thessaloniki, but you probably
                can also order it from the church publisher: Apostoliki Diakonia (address:
                Iasiou 1, 11521 Athens).

                The text contained in these editions is basically Byzantine. Antioniadis,
                who was mainly responsible for this work conducted under the auspices of
                the Patriarchate of Constantinople, relied in the first place on lectionary
                MSS (in the places where no lections are read, continuous-text MSS were of
                course used). An enlightening publication of Yannis Karavidopoulos is 'L'
                Edition patriarcale du Nouveau Testament (1904)' in Kleronomia XX (1988):
                195-204.

                The current Greek NT lectionaries are of course only the final stage of a
                liturgical development of many centuries. From my own experience, however,
                I know that especially in the most stable part of a lectionary, the
                synaxarion (dependent on the Easter-cycle), has not has changed much during
                the last 1000 years (the Menologion, with its feasts and saints, is more
                dependent on the fashion of the day). It is probably indicative that the
                study I use most is only available in Bulgarian. It is written by B.D.
                Tchiflianof and tries to reconstruct the services translated in the 9th
                century by SS. Cyril and Methodius into Old Slavic (I will try to find out
                about the Greek translation that was being planned).

                With the caveat regarding the liturgical development in mind, here follow
                the days on which the appropriate lections are read:

                Mark 1:35-44 Saturday of the second week in Great Lent (Nhsteiwn)
                Luke 5:12-16 Tuesday of the second week of Lukan lections (after Matthean
                lections)
                Matt 7:24-29 & 8:1-4: Saturday of the third week of Matthean lections.

                Good luck!

                Michael Bakker

                Dr H.P.S. Bakker

                Netherlands Institute for Advanced Study (NIAS)
                Meijboomlaan 1
                2242 PR Wassenaar
                The Netherlands
                tel.: +31 70 512 2700