  • David W. Odell-Scott
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 18, 1998
      Can anyone suggest sources regarding secretarial letter writing practices?
      What I am interested in is whether secretaries would reply directly on the
      letter to which a response was being made? Or if there was ever the
      practice of partial erasure of the letter received and a reply being
      written over the erased portion (thus an extended quotation might be left as
      it were sent and the reply framed before and after the quotation). Did
      secretaries ever detach the glued seams of pages to reconstruct another
      text? Or did they ever cut the page and attach to a new text?

      I have not been able to find leads to follow up this line of questioning. It
      could be that there are no leads because there were no such practices.

      Also, do any of you know of listservices or groups or what have you which
      might are concerned with just the study of papyrus letters, religious or
      otherwise?

      Thank you.
      David W. Odell-Scott

      Associate Professor of Philosophy