Re: tc-list t-c C. P. Thiede

  • Dexter Garnier
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 7, 1998
      On 2/6/98 5:57 PM James R. Adair wrote:

      >Are there any online arguments that support Thiede? The only one I know
      >of, and one that's worth reading, is by Jose O'Callaghan, "Un papiro
      >revolucionario: 7Q5," which contains an interview with Father O'Callaghan
      >on this and related subjects
      >(http://ekeko.rcp.net.pe/IAL/vm/texts/ocal7q5.htm).

      The following url will translate the interview at the url noted above
      into English:

      http://babelfish.altavista.digital.com/cgi-bin/translate?

      Also a short time back I purchased a pamphlet:

      _Supplement to JBL 91 (1972) No. 2_

      It contains in English:
      1. _New Testament Papyri In Qumran Cave 7?_ Jose O'Callaghan - Rome
      2. _Notes on The Papyri of Qumran Cave 7_ Carlo Martini - Rome

      On the front cover is written the following brief introduction:

      "(In view of the publicity given in various news media in the U.S.A.
      to the matter contained in the acompanying articles, it has been decided
      to make an English version of them available as a service to JBL readers.
      The translation has been prepared from Jose O'Callaghan's Spanish article,
      "?Papiros neotestamentarios en la cueva 7 de Qumran?" _Biblica_ 53 (1972)
      91-100, and from Carlo Martini's Italian article, "Note sui papiri della
      grotto 7 di Qumran," _ibid_., 101-4. Quotations in French and German in
      the
      original have been left intact; one quotation in Latin has been given an
      English translation. The translation of the two articles is the work of
      William L. Holladay, of Andover Newton Theological School, Newton Centre,
      Mass, 02159, to whom we are all grateful. Thanks are also due to the edi-
      tor of _Biblica_ for the permission to circulate this translation of the
      two
      articles. -- Editor.)

      I am not qualified to evaluate either article. However, both scholars (it
      seems
      to me) make points that at least merit interest.

      Regards,

      Dexter Garnier