tc-list The end of Pasor

  • William L. Petersen
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 3, 1998
      Following Scanlin's suggestion, I checked RLIN for Pasor. It gives, in
      essence, only the titles we have already mentioned: various editions of a
      Greek-Latin lexicon, a Greek grammar, some editions and notes on Hesiod,
      and the (anonymous) NT glossed with Pasor's lexical aids. (The title of
      this last work is in Lincoln's post, and in my two "truncated" posts.)
      RLIN does, however (*and bless the bibliographer who did this!*), tell us
      that the edition mentioned by Lincoln is *not* from Pasor: in a comment,
      RLIN observes: "A school edition reproducing the text of H. Estienne's
      edition of 1576 with a few variations." So now we know that this is
      Estienne's Greek text, "cribbed" with Pasor's lexical helps (= "a school
      edition").

      The title (a 1640 Elzevir edition) of another work, given by Garnier is his
      post yesterday, is just a lexicon.

      I checked with my good friend and colleague, Prof. Henk Jan de Jonge, of
      Leiden, who is an expert in this period of NT editions, and he informed me
      that he too neither knows of a bilingual (or any other) NT edition by
      Pasor, nor could he find any mention of one in the literature (which he
      knows inside and out). He did add that Pasor was Prof. of Greek in
      Franeker (an old university in Friesland, no longer extant; it ceased
      operations in the early 1800s) from 1626-1637.

      --Petersen, Penn State University,
      Netherlands Institute for Advanced Studies.
    • Ronald L. Minton
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 4, 1998
        I have had difficulty in finding the birth and death dates of the
        following people who are related to textual studies and translation issues
        in a variety of ways. I will appreciate any help from anyone and
        I thank you ahead of time.

        Daniel Heinsius
        Ian Paisley
        Rene Pache
        Augustin Merk
        G.D. Kilpatrick
        Marchant King
        Harry A Sturz ( -1989)
        Edwin Palmer

        --
        Prof. Ron Minton: rminton@... W (417)268-6053 H 833-9581
        Baptist Bible Graduate School 628 E. Kearney St. Springfield, MO 65803
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 4, 1998
          On Tue, 3 Feb 1998, William L. Petersen wrote:
          > Following Scanlin's suggestion, I checked RLIN for Pasor. It gives, in
          > essence, only the titles we have already mentioned: various editions of a
          > Greek-Latin lexicon, a Greek grammar, some editions and notes on Hesiod,
          > and the (anonymous) NT glossed with Pasor's lexical aids....

          Thank you Dr. Petersen and all who worked on the Pasor exersize. I
          understand that Pasor's Greek grammar was the best (in any language) to
          that time. Some have even called it the first advanced or scientific
          Greek grammar.

          --
          Prof. Ron Minton: rminton@... W (417)268-6053 H 833-9581
          Baptist Bible Graduate School 628 E. Kearney St. Springfield, MO 65803
        • DC PARKER
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 5, 1998
            Kilpatrick: 1910-1989

            That's the easiest. I'll include any more later if I can find time
            to chase them up.

            DC PARKER
            DEPT OF THEOLOGY
            UNIVERSITY OF BIRMINGHAM
            TEL. 0121-414 3613
            FAX 0121-414 6866
            E-MAIL PARKERDC@...
          • Ronald L. Minton
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 27, 1998
              Many thanks for the previous help on those pesky dates.
              I am still looking for dates on these men:

              Ian Paisley -birth date needed-
              Rene Pache
              Marchant King
              Harry A Sturz ( -1989)
              Edwin Palmer

              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 28, 1998
                For Ron Minton:

                I'd suggest checking in a "Who's Who" at the local library for Paisley's
                birthdate.

                Write to Sturz' school (or publisher), and ask when he was born.

                Ditto for the others.

                --Petersen.

                >Many thanks for the previous help on those pesky dates.
                >I am still looking for dates on these men:
                >
                >Ian Paisley -birth date needed-
                >Rene Pache
                >Marchant King
                >Harry A Sturz ( -1989)
                >Edwin Palmer
                >
                >--
                >Prof. Ron Minton: rminton@... W (417)268-6053 H 833-9581
                >Baptist Bible Graduate School 628 E. Kearney St. Springfield, MO 65803
              • DrJDPrice
                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 28, 1998
                  Hi Ron:
                  << Many thanks for the previous help on those pesky dates.
                  I am still looking for dates on these men:

                  Ian Paisley -birth date needed-
                  Rene Pache
                  Marchant King
                  Harry A Sturz ( -1989)
                  Edwin Palmer

                  Marchant King was my theology professor in Seminary.
                  He taught at Northwest Baptist Seminary in Tacoma,
                  Washington. I don't have their address handy. Surely
                  someone there knows his dates.
                  Jim Price