Re: tc-list Gremlins and OCLC

  • Richard D. Weis
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 1, 1998
      Dear Colleagues,

      Some hazy memories from the archives in response to William
      Petersen's comments as follows:

      > On OCLC: I'm still curious what this is. If Lincoln is out there, I'd
      > appreciate a clarification. Rod, are you sure this is the Ohio system,
      > augmented? At Penn State, we have access to "RLIN" (the acronym is
      > something like "Research Libraries Interlibrary Network"), which is what
      > our Interlibrary Loan Dep't uses. It has a very broad sweep (only American
      > libraries, however, but all the big ones), but its format is clearly
      > different from that of OCLC. It seems odd (and a waste of resources) to
      > maintain two, essentially identical, catalogues (OCLC, RLIN, and whatever
      > else may be out there [Worldcat, Library of Congress, etc.]). Is OCLC on
      > the web and, if so, what is its address? TIA.

      Both OCLC and RLIN are at least twenty years old because I first met
      them as a grad student at that time. If memory serves, both were
      supported on central mainframes that one dialed into from dedicated
      terminals. RLIN started off with an emphasis on large research
      libraries (hence the name), and thus included only collections of a
      certain size and depth. I had the impression that OCLC got started
      as a comparable catalog and ILL service for everybody else. So
      originally these were parallel, but not overlapping, networks. As to
      their current relationship, I couldn't say.

      Regards,
      Richard Weis
      Richard D. Weis rweis@...
      New Brunswick Theological Seminary phone: 1-732-246-5613
      17 Seminary Place FAX: 1-732-249-5412
      New Brunswick, NJ 08901-1196 USA
    • GLINCOLN @ LBC * GLINCOLN
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 2, 1998
        The "O" in OCLC originally did refer to Ohio but after several name
        changes, including O=Online, they are back to only the acronym. The RLIN
        network does duplicate and overlap OCLC to some extent. Most if not all
        the research libraries that belong to RLIN are also a member of OCLC. The
        groups were originally created for shared cataloging (the first library
        that cataloged a book entered the record for the other libraries to use).
        OCLC member RLIN libraries should be placing the record of their holdings
        onto OCLC as they catalog. All Library of Congress (and several other
        national library) records are automatically loaded onto OCLC. It is a vast
        union catalog of the holdings of all the member libraries in one place.
        Its reason for being is to eliminate as much as possible the duplication of
        effort and lower the costs of library operation.

        The Worldcat is another name for the union database used by OCLC under
        their FirstSearch service designed for public access. It is available at
        most college and university libraries for searching. The Web site is
        WWW.OCLC.ORG but you would need a password. I did turn in a suggestion
        that they create individual accounts for searching but have not heard that
        they have it available. If more individuals would send in the suggestion
        they might recognize the need.

        In regard to the pasting of the bibliographic records, it is possible that
        there could have been a special character. There is a special mapping for
        the ALA character set in order to transliterate any script into the Latin
        alphabet and a combination from it may have caused a problem. I apologize
        for any problems with the pasting of the bibliographic records.

        Library Director Voice (717) 560-8250 Ext. 362
        Lancaster Bible College FAX (717) 560-8213
        901 Eden Rd. e-mail glincoln@...