Re: tc-list Gremlins and OCLC

  • Roderic L. Mullen
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 1, 1998
      To the best of my knowledge, OCLC is a closed system independent of the web.
      I'd agree that there seems to be a tremendous duplication of effort, but
      then many of the individual library catalogues online look like custom
      designs anyway. For instance, does it make sense to have catalog terminals
      at UVA set up to require a campus i.d.? --Rod

      At 08:21 PM 2/1/98 +0200, you wrote:
      >Two brief items:
      >
      >Thanks to those who offered suggestions as to the Gremlins. As to the
      >problem, I figured a bit differently, noting that the odd/garbled
      >characters in Lincoln's "paste" from the OCLC (accents, umlauts, etc.) came
      >through OK, all three times (in his original post, and my two truncated
      >replies), but my new text (without any special characters), which followed
      >his "paste" from OCLC, was lost. I wonder if there is some hidden
      >character(s) at the end of his paste from OCLC that aborts transmission,
      >for that is where my message was cut off in both of my replies--but not,
      >N.B., when Lincoln sent it out originally, where his signature followed the
      >"paste." (Software engineers take note....)
      >
      >On OCLC: I'm still curious what this is. If Lincoln is out there, I'd
      >appreciate a clarification. Rod, are you sure this is the Ohio system,
      >augmented? At Penn State, we have access to "RLIN" (the acronym is
      >something like "Research Libraries Interlibrary Network"), which is what
      >our Interlibrary Loan Dep't uses. It has a very broad sweep (only American
      >libraries, however, but all the big ones), but its format is clearly
      >different from that of OCLC. It seems odd (and a waste of resources) to
      >maintain two, essentially identical, catalogues (OCLC, RLIN, and whatever
      >else may be out there [Worldcat, Library of Congress, etc.]). Is OCLC on
      >the web and, if so, what is its address? TIA.
      >
      >--Petersen, Penn State Univ.,
      >Netherlands Institute of Advanced Studies.

    • Richard D. Weis
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 1, 1998
        Dear Colleagues,

        Some hazy memories from the archives in response to William
        Petersen's comments as follows:

        > On OCLC: I'm still curious what this is. If Lincoln is out there, I'd
        > appreciate a clarification. Rod, are you sure this is the Ohio system,
        > augmented? At Penn State, we have access to "RLIN" (the acronym is
        > something like "Research Libraries Interlibrary Network"), which is what
        > our Interlibrary Loan Dep't uses. It has a very broad sweep (only American
        > libraries, however, but all the big ones), but its format is clearly
        > different from that of OCLC. It seems odd (and a waste of resources) to
        > maintain two, essentially identical, catalogues (OCLC, RLIN, and whatever
        > else may be out there [Worldcat, Library of Congress, etc.]). Is OCLC on
        > the web and, if so, what is its address? TIA.

        Both OCLC and RLIN are at least twenty years old because I first met
        them as a grad student at that time. If memory serves, both were
        supported on central mainframes that one dialed into from dedicated
        terminals. RLIN started off with an emphasis on large research
        libraries (hence the name), and thus included only collections of a
        certain size and depth. I had the impression that OCLC got started
        as a comparable catalog and ILL service for everybody else. So
        originally these were parallel, but not overlapping, networks. As to
        their current relationship, I couldn't say.

        Regards,
        Richard Weis
        Richard D. Weis rweis@...
        New Brunswick Theological Seminary phone: 1-732-246-5613
        17 Seminary Place FAX: 1-732-249-5412
        New Brunswick, NJ 08901-1196 USA
      • GLINCOLN @ LBC * GLINCOLN
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 2, 1998
          The "O" in OCLC originally did refer to Ohio but after several name
          changes, including O=Online, they are back to only the acronym. The RLIN
          network does duplicate and overlap OCLC to some extent. Most if not all
          the research libraries that belong to RLIN are also a member of OCLC. The
          groups were originally created for shared cataloging (the first library
          that cataloged a book entered the record for the other libraries to use).
          OCLC member RLIN libraries should be placing the record of their holdings
          onto OCLC as they catalog. All Library of Congress (and several other
          national library) records are automatically loaded onto OCLC. It is a vast
          union catalog of the holdings of all the member libraries in one place.
          Its reason for being is to eliminate as much as possible the duplication of
          effort and lower the costs of library operation.

          The Worldcat is another name for the union database used by OCLC under
          their FirstSearch service designed for public access. It is available at
          most college and university libraries for searching. The Web site is
          WWW.OCLC.ORG but you would need a password. I did turn in a suggestion
          that they create individual accounts for searching but have not heard that
          they have it available. If more individuals would send in the suggestion
          they might recognize the need.

          In regard to the pasting of the bibliographic records, it is possible that
          there could have been a special character. There is a special mapping for
          the ALA character set in order to transliterate any script into the Latin
          alphabet and a combination from it may have caused a problem. I apologize
          for any problems with the pasting of the bibliographic records.

          Library Director Voice (717) 560-8250 Ext. 362
          Lancaster Bible College FAX (717) 560-8213
          901 Eden Rd. e-mail glincoln@...