tc-list Gremlins and OCLC

  • William L. Petersen
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 1, 1998
      Two brief items:

      Thanks to those who offered suggestions as to the Gremlins. As to the
      problem, I figured a bit differently, noting that the odd/garbled
      characters in Lincoln's "paste" from the OCLC (accents, umlauts, etc.) came
      through OK, all three times (in his original post, and my two truncated
      replies), but my new text (without any special characters), which followed
      his "paste" from OCLC, was lost. I wonder if there is some hidden
      character(s) at the end of his paste from OCLC that aborts transmission,
      for that is where my message was cut off in both of my replies--but not,
      N.B., when Lincoln sent it out originally, where his signature followed the
      "paste." (Software engineers take note....)

      On OCLC: I'm still curious what this is. If Lincoln is out there, I'd
      appreciate a clarification. Rod, are you sure this is the Ohio system,
      augmented? At Penn State, we have access to "RLIN" (the acronym is
      something like "Research Libraries Interlibrary Network"), which is what
      our Interlibrary Loan Dep't uses. It has a very broad sweep (only American
      libraries, however, but all the big ones), but its format is clearly
      different from that of OCLC. It seems odd (and a waste of resources) to
      maintain two, essentially identical, catalogues (OCLC, RLIN, and whatever
      else may be out there [Worldcat, Library of Congress, etc.]). Is OCLC on
      the web and, if so, what is its address? TIA.

      --Petersen, Penn State Univ.,
      Netherlands Institute of Advanced Studies.
    • Roderic L. Mullen
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 1, 1998
        To the best of my knowledge, OCLC is a closed system independent of the web.
        I'd agree that there seems to be a tremendous duplication of effort, but
        then many of the individual library catalogues online look like custom
        designs anyway. For instance, does it make sense to have catalog terminals
        at UVA set up to require a campus i.d.? --Rod

        At 08:21 PM 2/1/98 +0200, you wrote:
        >Two brief items:
        >
        >Thanks to those who offered suggestions as to the Gremlins. As to the
        >problem, I figured a bit differently, noting that the odd/garbled
        >characters in Lincoln's "paste" from the OCLC (accents, umlauts, etc.) came
        >through OK, all three times (in his original post, and my two truncated
        >replies), but my new text (without any special characters), which followed
        >his "paste" from OCLC, was lost. I wonder if there is some hidden
        >character(s) at the end of his paste from OCLC that aborts transmission,
        >for that is where my message was cut off in both of my replies--but not,
        >N.B., when Lincoln sent it out originally, where his signature followed the
        >"paste." (Software engineers take note....)
        >
        >On OCLC: I'm still curious what this is. If Lincoln is out there, I'd
        >appreciate a clarification. Rod, are you sure this is the Ohio system,
        >augmented? At Penn State, we have access to "RLIN" (the acronym is
        >something like "Research Libraries Interlibrary Network"), which is what
        >our Interlibrary Loan Dep't uses. It has a very broad sweep (only American
        >libraries, however, but all the big ones), but its format is clearly
        >different from that of OCLC. It seems odd (and a waste of resources) to
        >maintain two, essentially identical, catalogues (OCLC, RLIN, and whatever
        >else may be out there [Worldcat, Library of Congress, etc.]). Is OCLC on
        >the web and, if so, what is its address? TIA.
        >
        >--Petersen, Penn State Univ.,
        >Netherlands Institute of Advanced Studies.

      • Richard D. Weis
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 1, 1998
          Dear Colleagues,

          Some hazy memories from the archives in response to William
          Petersen's comments as follows:

          > On OCLC: I'm still curious what this is. If Lincoln is out there, I'd
          > appreciate a clarification. Rod, are you sure this is the Ohio system,
          > augmented? At Penn State, we have access to "RLIN" (the acronym is
          > something like "Research Libraries Interlibrary Network"), which is what
          > our Interlibrary Loan Dep't uses. It has a very broad sweep (only American
          > libraries, however, but all the big ones), but its format is clearly
          > different from that of OCLC. It seems odd (and a waste of resources) to
          > maintain two, essentially identical, catalogues (OCLC, RLIN, and whatever
          > else may be out there [Worldcat, Library of Congress, etc.]). Is OCLC on
          > the web and, if so, what is its address? TIA.

          Both OCLC and RLIN are at least twenty years old because I first met
          them as a grad student at that time. If memory serves, both were
          supported on central mainframes that one dialed into from dedicated
          terminals. RLIN started off with an emphasis on large research
          libraries (hence the name), and thus included only collections of a
          certain size and depth. I had the impression that OCLC got started
          as a comparable catalog and ILL service for everybody else. So
          originally these were parallel, but not overlapping, networks. As to
          their current relationship, I couldn't say.

          Regards,
          Richard Weis
          Richard D. Weis rweis@...
          New Brunswick Theological Seminary phone: 1-732-246-5613
          17 Seminary Place FAX: 1-732-249-5412
          New Brunswick, NJ 08901-1196 USA
        • GLINCOLN @ LBC * GLINCOLN
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 2, 1998
            The "O" in OCLC originally did refer to Ohio but after several name
            changes, including O=Online, they are back to only the acronym. The RLIN
            network does duplicate and overlap OCLC to some extent. Most if not all
            the research libraries that belong to RLIN are also a member of OCLC. The
            groups were originally created for shared cataloging (the first library
            that cataloged a book entered the record for the other libraries to use).
            OCLC member RLIN libraries should be placing the record of their holdings
            onto OCLC as they catalog. All Library of Congress (and several other
            national library) records are automatically loaded onto OCLC. It is a vast
            union catalog of the holdings of all the member libraries in one place.
            Its reason for being is to eliminate as much as possible the duplication of
            effort and lower the costs of library operation.

            The Worldcat is another name for the union database used by OCLC under
            their FirstSearch service designed for public access. It is available at
            most college and university libraries for searching. The Web site is
            WWW.OCLC.ORG but you would need a password. I did turn in a suggestion
            that they create individual accounts for searching but have not heard that
            they have it available. If more individuals would send in the suggestion
            they might recognize the need.

            In regard to the pasting of the bibliographic records, it is possible that
            there could have been a special character. There is a special mapping for
            the ALA character set in order to transliterate any script into the Latin
            alphabet and a combination from it may have caused a problem. I apologize
            for any problems with the pasting of the bibliographic records.

            Library Director Voice (717) 560-8250 Ext. 362
            Lancaster Bible College FAX (717) 560-8213
            901 Eden Rd. e-mail glincoln@...