Re: tc-list Gremlins on the 'net and Georg Pasor

  • Roderic L. Mullen
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 1, 1998
      From my long-ago days as intern in the reference department at Perkins
      Library at Duke, I think OCLC originally meant "Ohio College Library
      Catalogue" which then expanded to become something like "Online Catalogue of
      Library Collections" designed to be an electronic counterpart to the Library
      of Congress's National Union Catalogue. It was then, and I think still is,
      a system used primarily for interlibrary loans. --Rod Mullen

      At 04:21 PM 2/1/98 +0200, you wrote:
      >I give up: there must be some error in my file, for it again truncated the
      >post, after my quotation of Lincoln's message. Here (I hope) is what
      >should have followed after Lincoln's two records from the OCLC catagloue.
      >(Apologies to all for these partial posts...).
      >
      >--Petersen.
      >
      >------------ Remainder of post, twice lost in transmission ------------
      >
      >One note, however, neither of these titles (the one's in Lincoln's post)
      >appears to be (1) a bilingual edition of the NT (Greek & Latin), and (2)
      >neither appears to be by Pasor. If one reads the Latin, the title
      >indicates that they are (apparently anonymous) editions of the *Greek* New
      >Testament, "all" of whose "difficult" vocabulary/grammar was defined/parsed
      >in the margin *on the basis of* Pasor's Greek-Latin lexicon (whose title
      >was in my last post) by a certain "Karl Hoole." In essence, Hoole
      >apparently took an edition of the Gk NT, and "glossed" its margins with
      >appropriate information from Pasor's lexicon and Pasor's grammar. But
      >whose edition of the NT this is, is not stated. The dates (1653 and 1674)
      >suggest that whoever did the edition(s), it was not Pasor, for he died in
      >1638. Hoole may be the editor, or it may have been some earlier edition.
      >
      >This new information, intersting as it is, has not unearthed a *bilingual*
      >edition (or *any* edition) of the NT *by* Pasor. Once again, to the best I
      >have been able to determine, Pasor did *not* publish a bilingual edition of
      >the NT.
      >
      >BTW, what is "OCLC" (I presume, "Online Catalogue, Library of Congress"?)?
      >Is it on the Web? If so, what is its address? TIA.
      >
      >--Petersen, Penn State University,
      >Netherlands Institute for Advanced Study.

    • Roderic L. Mullen
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 1, 1998
        OCLC again. There is, I have recently discovered, something called
        Worldcat, which works similarly to OCLC and lists books held in various
        libraries. It can probably be found if you have direct access to a large
        college or university online catalogue. --Rod Mullen