tc-list Gremlins on the 'net and Georg Pasor

  • William L. Petersen
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 1, 1998
      I give up: there must be some error in my file, for it again truncated the
      post, after my quotation of Lincoln's message. Here (I hope) is what
      should have followed after Lincoln's two records from the OCLC catagloue.
      (Apologies to all for these partial posts...).

      --Petersen.

      ------------ Remainder of post, twice lost in transmission ------------

      One note, however, neither of these titles (the one's in Lincoln's post)
      appears to be (1) a bilingual edition of the NT (Greek & Latin), and (2)
      neither appears to be by Pasor. If one reads the Latin, the title
      indicates that they are (apparently anonymous) editions of the *Greek* New
      Testament, "all" of whose "difficult" vocabulary/grammar was defined/parsed
      in the margin *on the basis of* Pasor's Greek-Latin lexicon (whose title
      was in my last post) by a certain "Karl Hoole." In essence, Hoole
      apparently took an edition of the Gk NT, and "glossed" its margins with
      appropriate information from Pasor's lexicon and Pasor's grammar. But
      whose edition of the NT this is, is not stated. The dates (1653 and 1674)
      suggest that whoever did the edition(s), it was not Pasor, for he died in
      1638. Hoole may be the editor, or it may have been some earlier edition.

      This new information, intersting as it is, has not unearthed a *bilingual*
      edition (or *any* edition) of the NT *by* Pasor. Once again, to the best I
      have been able to determine, Pasor did *not* publish a bilingual edition of
      the NT.

      BTW, what is "OCLC" (I presume, "Online Catalogue, Library of Congress"?)?
      Is it on the Web? If so, what is its address? TIA.

      --Petersen, Penn State University,
      Netherlands Institute for Advanced Study.
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 1, 1998
        On Sun, 1 Feb 1998, WLPetersen@... (William L. Petersen) wrote:

        >I give up: there must be some error in my file, for it again truncated the
        >post, after my quotation of Lincoln's message. Here (I hope) is what
        >should have followed after Lincoln's two records from the OCLC catagloue.
        >(Apologies to all for these partial posts...).

        I think I can hazard a guess as to the cause of the problems. It appeared,
        based on the posts as they appeared on my machine, that they used some
        special characters not in the standard ASCII set. (E.g. I saw some
        U-umlauts in the posts as they appeared on my machine, though they
        would likely have shown up as something else on a PC or UNIX machine
        that uses a different encoding set.)

        Depending on the system, such special characters may be interpreted
        as an "end of message" symbol. The result: A truncated message.
        This isn't common, but it can happen. And scrambled messages
        *are* common.

        The solution is to stop using the special characters. (They won't
        show up the same way on other people's machines anyway, so there
        isn't much point in using them.)

        The "safe" characters are the letters A-Z, a-z, the numbers 0-9,
        the space, and the standard punctuation characters. Anything you
        have to access in a special way -- e.g. by using ALT or CONTROL
        or OPTION keys, or even curly quotation marks, is not standard ASCII,
        and can cause problems.

        I hope this helps.

        Bob Waltz
        waltzmn@...

        "The one thing we learn from history --
        is that no one ever learns from history."
      • Roderic L. Mullen
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 1, 1998
          From my long-ago days as intern in the reference department at Perkins
          Library at Duke, I think OCLC originally meant "Ohio College Library
          Catalogue" which then expanded to become something like "Online Catalogue of
          Library Collections" designed to be an electronic counterpart to the Library
          of Congress's National Union Catalogue. It was then, and I think still is,
          a system used primarily for interlibrary loans. --Rod Mullen

          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 1, 1998
            OCLC again. There is, I have recently discovered, something called
            Worldcat, which works similarly to OCLC and lists books held in various
            libraries. It can probably be found if you have direct access to a large
            college or university online catalogue. --Rod Mullen