Re: Subject: Re: Supercessionism

  • David Moore
    Message 1 of 1714 , Dec 4, 1995
      On Mon, 4 Dec 1995 Timster132@... wrote:

      > That's kind of like the American traveler that goes abroad and expects
      > everyone in the world to speak English and is put off because they do not.
      > Actually, foreign folks usually feel very complimented when you use their
      > language, even if you speak it badly.
      >
      > I am not advocating persuing the myth you are talking about. I am not
      > talking about trying to please everyone and never offend anyone, which is
      > pollyanna.
      >
      > I think what my suggestion is that we can do this to show *mutual repect".

      Mutual respect is fine; I'm all for it. But may I suggest that
      mutual respect is more readily recognizable when it is expressed freely
      than when it is adhered to because it is prescribed.

      We're not talking about speaking languages not understood by one
      another. Take for example a couple of titles that have to do with the
      list topic: Wu:rthwein calls his book _The Text of the Old Testament_
      whereas P. Kyle McCarter, Jr. has written _Textual Criticism: Recovering
      the Text of the Hebrew Bible_. Either of these titles is equally
      understandable; so why the fuss?

      I think it is probable that the majority of those on the list
      would like, as I would, to save the bandwidth we're using on this debate
      for matters that are more on topic.

      David L. Moore Southeastern Spanish District
      Miami, Florida of the Assemblies of God
      dvdmoore@... Department of Education
      Message 1714 of 1714 , Feb 4, 1997