Re: tc-list TC-List - Phi 3.3

    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 20, 1998
      On Tue, 20 Jan 1998, "Francisco Orozco" <fran4@...> wrote:

      >Questions:
      >(1) With such ample support, why a "C" rating?

      I'm tempted to say, "How are *we* supposed to know why the UBS committee
      made all the strange decisions they did. :-)

      But I would note that the reading is a "B" in UBS4.

      >(2) Is there any clear rational for the NEB preferred reading? Is it
      >because p46 is the only papyrus witnessing to this variant, and being the
      >chronological oldest witness deserves preference?

      The explanation offered by Tasker (for the NEB committee) reads:

      "pneumati, the reading of P46, was regarded as original on the
      ground that it best explains the existence of the variants
      pneumati Qew, cound in Aleph-corr D* P, the Latin versions, and Syr.
      pesh. and hkl., and Pneumati Qeou, found in Aleph* A B C Dcorr G,
      and Syr. hkl. (margin). Patristic evidence varies between Qew and
      Qeou."

      >(3) What error (sight, hearing, etc) could explain p46's reading?

      There is no obvious explanation -- but there are many instances
      of single words being dropped here and there in manuscripts. Many
      would regard P46, with its unusual text, as particularly subject
      to these sorts of errors.

      [ ... ]

      >I would think that, with such strong external evidence, and internal too,
      >the rating should be an "A" or at least a "B".

      I can't regard it as an "A." The reading "QEW" has the support of most
      of the "Western" text (D a b d f vg Ambst; QEOU only F G g) and the
      bulk of the late Alexandrian witnesses (P 075 1175 family 2127). I
      consider QEW inferior, but not strongly inferior.

      Of course, that's just me. :-)

    • Francisco Orozco
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 21, 1998
        Thanks Robert B. Waltz for replying to my queries,
        I was wondering if the TC-List was still alive. I would appreciate the
        biblio for your source of Tasker's explanation as to the NEB reading(s).
        Do you agree with their (committee's) explanation for the reading "QEW" ?
        Since they clearly did not accept the p46 reading (though it is the
        shorter, and maybe might give some better reasons for the rise of the
        other readings, acc. to Tasker; it clearly has the weakest external
        support), plus they also rejected the QEW reading (in spite of some of the
        Western text, and late Alexandrian) it seemed to me that a "A" was
        deserved (I confess that my allegiance has shifted from a
        reasoned-eclecticism to the Byzantine camp).
        But I would like to understand the possible reasons for the QEW reading.

        Francisco Orozco
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 21, 1998
          On Wed, 21 Jan 1998, "Francisco Orozco" <fran4@...> wrote:

          >Thanks Robert B. Waltz for replying to my queries,
          > I was wondering if the TC-List was still alive. I would appreciate the
          >biblio for your source of Tasker's explanation as to the NEB reading(s).
          >Do you agree with their (committee's) explanation for the reading "QEW" ?
          >Since they clearly did not accept the p46 reading (though it is the
          >shorter, and maybe might give some better reasons for the rise of the
          >other readings, acc. to Tasker; it clearly has the weakest external
          >support), plus they also rejected the QEW reading (in spite of some of the
          >Western text, and late Alexandrian) it seemed to me that a "A" was
          >deserved (I confess that my allegiance has shifted from a
          >reasoned-eclecticism to the Byzantine camp).
          >But I would like to understand the possible reasons for the QEW reading.

          I don't do internal evidence :-); I can't really answer that.

          But it would do to remember that these two readings differ by *only
          one letter* (recall that QEOS is one of the nomina sacra). Chances
          are that the change (whatever its direction) was accidental, and then
          the altered reading was perpetuated by scribes. Even the reading of
          P46 might arisen when the scribe misread a correction as an erasure.
          (This is purely speculation, and is only a faint possibility.)

          As for this "clearly the weakest support" business, while we can
          say that QEOU has the strongest support (I think everyone would agree
          on that), we cannot really say whether QEW or omit is in second place.
          QEW has many more supporting witnesses, but their character is far
          poorer than P46.

          Given that all of us use slightly different methods of criticism,
          we will never reach absolute consensus on which readings are most
          or least probable. But by the same token, don't expect the UBS
          committee to accept your method of rating variants. :-)