RE: tc-list Zechariah at Qumran

  • Jim West
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 5, 1998

      Sorry- I pushed send before my message was complete. Anyway, I checked J.
      Maier's book on Qumran and he does not list Zech 12:10 as a quotation in any
      of the texts from Qumran.

      Jim

      Jim West

      jwest@...
    • Curt Niccum
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 5, 1998
        Most published lists of biblical passages found in the Dead Sea Scrolls
        are based on preliminary investigations. There are, therefore, numerous
        errors, mostly on the side of omission. One should always consult the
        critical editions. For the Prophets, consult DJD XV; Qumran Cave 4 - X,
        ed. E. Ulrich (Oxford: University Press, 1997).

        Curt Niccum

        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 5, 1998
          >Most published lists of biblical passages found in the Dead Sea Scrolls
          >are based on preliminary investigations. There are, therefore, numerous
          >errors, mostly on the side of omission. One should always consult the
          >critical editions. For the Prophets, consult DJD XV; Qumran Cave 4 - X,
          >ed. E. Ulrich (Oxford: University Press, 1997).
          >
          >Curt Niccum

          I am well aware of DJD. My attempt to answer the question went a little
          further than simply looking in the Prophets volume. Rather, believeing the
          interested party would like to know if the text were anywhere preserved in
          the DSS it seemed reasonable to look to see if the passage in question were
          quoted in any of the manuscripts. As the DJD volumes do not do this, I
          turned to Maier, who kindly lists all quotations of Biblical texts in the
          DSS. Unless you are suggesting that the DJD volumes list every occurance of
          the Biblical texts in the sectarian materials. If they do, I have
          overlooked it.

          Jim

          Jim West

          jwest@...