tc-list Zechariah at Qumran

  • Sarah Lind
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 5, 1998
      >>DOES ANYONE KNOW OF A DEAD SEA SCROLL COPY OF ZECHARIAH 12:10?

      Scanlin (The Dead Sea Scrolls and Modern Translations of the OT, Tyndale
      House, 1993) does not list this passage in his comprehensive listing of
      biblical passages in Qumran mss (incl the Nahal Hever Greek Minor Prophets
      scroll).

      Sarah Lind
      sarahlind@...
    • Curt Niccum
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 5, 1998
        4QXII-g contains portions of the verse, but not the text in question.

        Curt Niccum

        >>DOES ANYONE KNOW OF A DEAD SEA SCROLL COPY OF ZECHARIAH 12:10?

        Scanlin (The Dead Sea Scrolls and Modern Translations of the OT,
        Tyndale
        House, 1993) does not list this passage in his comprehensive
        listing of
        biblical passages in Qumran mss (incl the Nahal Hever Greek
        Minor Prophets
        scroll).

        Sarah Lind
        sarahlind@...
      • Jim West
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 5, 1998
          >4QXII-g contains portions of the verse, but not the text in question.

          Indeed, there are several fragments of Zech among the DSS- but, as Curt
          pointed out, there are none for this particular verse (12:10).

          Jim

          Jim West

          jwest@...
        • Jim West
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 5, 1998

            Sorry- I pushed send before my message was complete. Anyway, I checked J.
            Maier's book on Qumran and he does not list Zech 12:10 as a quotation in any
            of the texts from Qumran.

            Jim

            Jim West

            jwest@...
          • Curt Niccum
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 5, 1998
              Most published lists of biblical passages found in the Dead Sea Scrolls
              are based on preliminary investigations. There are, therefore, numerous
              errors, mostly on the side of omission. One should always consult the
              critical editions. For the Prophets, consult DJD XV; Qumran Cave 4 - X,
              ed. E. Ulrich (Oxford: University Press, 1997).

              Curt Niccum

              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 5, 1998
                >Most published lists of biblical passages found in the Dead Sea Scrolls
                >are based on preliminary investigations. There are, therefore, numerous
                >errors, mostly on the side of omission. One should always consult the
                >critical editions. For the Prophets, consult DJD XV; Qumran Cave 4 - X,
                >ed. E. Ulrich (Oxford: University Press, 1997).
                >
                >Curt Niccum

                I am well aware of DJD. My attempt to answer the question went a little
                further than simply looking in the Prophets volume. Rather, believeing the
                interested party would like to know if the text were anywhere preserved in
                the DSS it seemed reasonable to look to see if the passage in question were
                quoted in any of the manuscripts. As the DJD volumes do not do this, I
                turned to Maier, who kindly lists all quotations of Biblical texts in the
                DSS. Unless you are suggesting that the DJD volumes list every occurance of
                the Biblical texts in the sectarian materials. If they do, I have
                overlooked it.

                Jim

                Jim West

                jwest@...