Re: tc-list-digest V2 #213

  • HILL R KAPLAN
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 24, 1997
      In TC-213 Jim West wrote:

      >From: Jim West <jwest@...>
      >Date: Mon, 22 Dec 1997 15:03:14 -0500
      >Subject: tc-list 4QXII(f) Micah 5:2
      >
      >I continue to wonder about the significance (or lack thereof)
      >regarding the glaring LO found in the Qumran fragment of Micah.
      >Is it possible that this

      >LO was dropped because the implication is that the Davidic House will
      >no longer provide kings for the kingdom. I.e., is Micah denouncing the
      >royal family by saying "there will NOT come forth from you...."
      >
      >Thanks,
      >
      >Jim

      Issue 1

      So far, in this discussion, this verse has been identified as Micah 5:2,
      but in the Masoretic version of the text, it is the first verse of the
      chapter.

      Can anything be gleaned from the manuscript itself regarding the end of
      Chapter 4 ? Is there any added spaces between the letters ? Is there any

      punctuation whatsoever ? Perhaps a *P* (petucha) for open paragraph or
      a *S* (setuma) for a closed paragraph.

      Specht indicates that there are some punctuation marks in some Qumran
      texts, but that they are not yet standardized. He notes that they may
      even occur
      at different places in copies of the same book..

      In the absence of clear markings, why have TC scholars followed the
      markings
      of St Cher (1263) rather than that of the Masoretes ?

      ====================================

      ISSUE 2

      I examined the various alternatives to the masoretic text listed in
      Biblia Hebraica Stutgartensia for MICAH 5:1.

      Since none of the over 250 (?) manuscripts utilized in this monumental;
      study
      include the what you have called *the problematic LO*.

      The Hebrew offers ** LI ** ; the consonantal letters are Lamed, Yud.
      When QXII offers **LO** ; the consonantal letters are Lamed,Vov
      There is only a slight difference between the appearance of Vows and
      Yurt.
      The downstroke of the Yule is much shorter.

      Cantillation marks, The Masoretic apparatus which is often used to
      indicate
      proper phrasing of the text assign **LI** to the next phrase;
      It carries a conjunctive. The text thus reads:

      He shall come to me
      LI YAY-TSAY

      BTY the Hebrew word preceding **LI** is MIM-ME-CHA and it carries a
      disjunctive cantillation sign.

      HILLEL