Re: Hebrew Bible, OT, or ...?

  • James R. Adair
    Message 1 of 1714 , Dec 4, 1995
      I think the discussion that has ensued as a result of my original post
      has demonstrated that there is not any single term to describe the
      textual criticism of the Hebrew Bible/Old Testament/First
      Testament/Tanakh that is one hundred percent satisfactory. My question
      was directed solely at the use of these terms in the field of textual
      criticism, not religious studies as a whole. Though there is obviously
      some overlap, I think the fact that the discipline deals explicitly with
      language, and implicitly with canon, contributes to the difficulty.
      Textual critics of all backgrounds should continue to use the terms that
      seem to them, for whatever reasons, to be the most satisfactory,
      remembering the imperfections of whatever term they choose.

      Jimmy Adair
      and
      Message 1714 of 1714 , Feb 4, 1997