Re: "canonical" text

  • Mark O'Brien
    Message 1 of 1714 , Mar 27, 1996
      Original message sent on Mon, Mar 25 11:42 PM by gjw@... (Gregory J.
      Woodhouse) :

      <snip>
      > Another complication I see is that there seems to be a distinction
      > between the Text and specific texts. I often explain to people, for
      > example, that there is no such thing as an original manuscript of the
      > Bible. (Okay, maybe it's too obvious to say in this forum!)
      > Nevertheless, I consider the Bible to be scripture. But what I consider
      > to be scripture is not just one manuscript, fragment, or compendium.

      This is an interesting point you make, and immediately raises in my mind the
      question of how do you classify variants then? Are all variants, in your
      opinion, inspired? This is the tricky question for those of us who would like
      to hold to any kind of verbal inspiration or inerrancy.

      Regards,

      Mark O'Brien
      Grad. student, Dallas Seminary
      Message 1714 of 1714 , Feb 4, 1997