Re: tc-list priority

  • John Hill
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 7, 1997
      At 12:27 07-12-97 -0500, Jim West wrote:
      >Colleagues,
      >
      >mine is an historical question. In the history of TC scholarship has anyone
      >ever argued the thesis that the Greek version of the OT is actually the
      >older and that the Hebrew version was only later translated for Jews in
      >Palestine?

      Jim,
      I'm not aware of a current scholarly debate over the whole of the MT and
      LXX. I can only think of the well-known issue that is alive and kicking in
      Jeremiah scholarship about the relationship between the MT and LXX textual
      traditions, where there is a school of thought that maintains a priority of
      the LXX over our MT. The thesis is that our LXX is closer to the earliest
      Hebrew Vorlage of the book than our present MT. I'm not aware of a similar
      debate over the relationship between LXX Samuel and MT Samuel. I mention
      Samuel together with Jeremiah because the differences between the MT and
      LXX traditions is quite extensive - in Jeremiah the MT is about one-eight
      longer and has a different order.