tc-list priority

  • Jim West
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 7, 1997
      Colleagues,

      mine is an historical question. In the history of TC scholarship has anyone
      ever argued the thesis that the Greek version of the OT is actually the
      older and that the Hebrew version was only later translated for Jews in
      Palestine?

      Thanks,

      Jim

      Jim West
      Adjunct Professor of Bible
      Quartz Hill School of Theology

      jwest@...
    • John Hill
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 7, 1997
        At 12:27 07-12-97 -0500, Jim West wrote:
        >Colleagues,
        >
        >mine is an historical question. In the history of TC scholarship has anyone
        >ever argued the thesis that the Greek version of the OT is actually the
        >older and that the Hebrew version was only later translated for Jews in
        >Palestine?

        Jim,
        I'm not aware of a current scholarly debate over the whole of the MT and
        LXX. I can only think of the well-known issue that is alive and kicking in
        Jeremiah scholarship about the relationship between the MT and LXX textual
        traditions, where there is a school of thought that maintains a priority of
        the LXX over our MT. The thesis is that our LXX is closer to the earliest
        Hebrew Vorlage of the book than our present MT. I'm not aware of a similar
        debate over the relationship between LXX Samuel and MT Samuel. I mention
        Samuel together with Jeremiah because the differences between the MT and
        LXX traditions is quite extensive - in Jeremiah the MT is about one-eight
        longer and has a different order.
      • Jack Kilmon
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 7, 1997
          Jim West wrote:

          > Colleagues,
          >
          > mine is an historical question. In the history of TC scholarship has
          > anyone
          > ever argued the thesis that the Greek version of the OT is actually
          > the
          > older and that the Hebrew version was only later translated for Jews
          > in
          > Palestine?

          Sounds like an argument that would come from Copenhagen (g).
          I would think that the obviousness of translational over compositional
          Greek would make that position very difficult.

          Jack

          --
          D’man dith laych idneh d’nishMA nishMA
          Jack Kilmon (jpman@...)

          http://users.accesscomm.net/scriptorium
        • Dr Johann Cook
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 8, 1997
            > Date: Mon, 08 Dec 1997 11:25:41 +1100
            > To: tc-list@...
            > From: John Hill <jhill@...>
            > Subject: Re: tc-list priority

            > At 12:27 07-12-97 -0500, Jim West wrote:
            > >Colleagues,
            > >
            > >mine is an historical question. In the history of TC scholarship has anyone
            > >ever argued the thesis that the Greek version of the OT is actually the
            > >older and that the Hebrew version was only later translated for Jews in
            > >Palestine?
            >
            > Jim,
            > I'm not aware of a current scholarly debate over the whole of the MT and
            > LXX. I can only think of the well-known issue that is alive and kicking in
            > Jeremiah scholarship about the relationship between the MT and LXX textual
            > traditions, where there is a school of thought that maintains a priority of
            > the LXX over our MT. The thesis is that our LXX is closer to the earliest
            > Hebrew Vorlage of the book than our present MT. I'm not aware of a similar
            > debate over the relationship between LXX Samuel and MT Samuel. I mention
            > Samuel together with Jeremiah because the differences between the MT and
            > LXX traditions is quite extensive - in Jeremiah the MT is about one-eight
            > longer and has a different order.

            In respect of Samuel there are indeed scholars who argue that the
            Vorlage of LXX is closer to some Qumran fragments and that it
            represents older Hebrew Vorlagen. This is obviously a difficult
            issue. The text-critical value of any given version must naturally
            first of all be determined before an answer of some value may be
            suggested. It does also pay to hold on to the given that individual
            translation units should be treated separately. What would hold for
            LXX Jeremiah needs not automatically be true of Samuel. I have just
            published a book in the series VTS no 69 at Brill concerning LXX Proverbs
            where I argue that the difference in the order of some of the final
            chapters in LXX compared to MT is the result of the translator and
            not of a deviating Hebrew parent text. I do, nevertheless, suspect
            that in LXX Jeremiah, where a more literal translation technique was
            followed by the translator, different Hebrew Vorlagen are possible.

            Johann Cook

            Prof. Johann Cook
            Department of Ancient Near Eastern Studies
            University of Stellenbosch
            7600 Stellenbosch
            SOUTH AFRICA
            tel 22-21-8083207