tc-list Collate

  • Vincent Broman
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 2, 1997
    • James R. Adair
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 3, 1997
        Vincent Broman said:

        >Thanks kindly for the URL. Unfortunately, the blurbs there are rather
        >uninformative about what the program's capabilities are (or else they are
        >informative but it is not very capable).
        >

        >One is left entirely in the dark about what the inputs to the program
        >are, aside from scholarly keystrokes. Input of Texts? Collations? how
        >many at a time? in what formats? the same formats as supported for output?
        >In what alphabets and with what lexical analysis rules? With markup or
        >only bare text?

        >Does the program filter or edit collations? separate or merge points of
        >variation? output subset collations? support a turing-complete scripting
        >language? run in batch mode? perform regularizations by rule?
        >classify variants as significant/insignificant? organize variants with
        >sub-variants, sub-sub-variants? etc.

        Here's a more informative URL:
        http://slate.blue.dmu.ac.uk/projects/Collate. From this page you can get
        quite a bit more information about the program. Peter Robinson is the
        head of the Textual Criticism work group of the Text Encoding Initiative,
        and his text of the Canterbury Tales, for which he wrote Collate, is
        tagged in TEI. For the really gory details, you might want to look at his
        book _The Transcription of Primary Textual Sources Using SGML_, Office for
        Humanities Communication Publications, no. 6 (Oxford: Oxford University
        Computing Services, 1994).

        I've just run across a Perl script called tdiff that does some simple
        collations, too, that some might be interested in. For more information,
        see http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/users/etg10/tdiff.html.

        Jimmy Adair
        and
        -------------> http://shemesh.scholar.emory.edu <--------------