Re: tc-list ENTMP transcription of Freer Gospels Matthew

  • Vincent Broman
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 1, 1997
    • James R. Adair
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 2, 1997
        On 1 Dec 1997, Vincent Broman wrote:

        > Robinson's
        > Collate program is Mac-only and is supposed to do wonders with TEI texts.

        Peter Robinson showed a demo of his Collage program at one of the meetings
        of the Electronic Standards for Biblical Languages Texts seminar at the
        recent SBL meeting in San Francisco, and it was very impressive. The good
        news for non-Mac users is that a Windows 95 version is supposed to be
        ready by now (the target date was late 1997). Go to
        http://slate.blue.dmu.ac.uk/projects/Collate/order_collate.html for
        more information.

        Jimmy Adair
        and
        -------------> http://shemesh.scholar.emory.edu <--------------
      • Vincent Broman
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 2, 1997
        • James R. Adair
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 3, 1997
            Vincent Broman said:

            >Thanks kindly for the URL. Unfortunately, the blurbs there are rather
            >uninformative about what the program's capabilities are (or else they are
            >informative but it is not very capable).
            >

            >One is left entirely in the dark about what the inputs to the program
            >are, aside from scholarly keystrokes. Input of Texts? Collations? how
            >many at a time? in what formats? the same formats as supported for output?
            >In what alphabets and with what lexical analysis rules? With markup or
            >only bare text?

            >Does the program filter or edit collations? separate or merge points of
            >variation? output subset collations? support a turing-complete scripting
            >language? run in batch mode? perform regularizations by rule?
            >classify variants as significant/insignificant? organize variants with
            >sub-variants, sub-sub-variants? etc.

            Here's a more informative URL:
            http://slate.blue.dmu.ac.uk/projects/Collate. From this page you can get
            quite a bit more information about the program. Peter Robinson is the
            head of the Textual Criticism work group of the Text Encoding Initiative,
            and his text of the Canterbury Tales, for which he wrote Collate, is
            tagged in TEI. For the really gory details, you might want to look at his
            book _The Transcription of Primary Textual Sources Using SGML_, Office for
            Humanities Communication Publications, no. 6 (Oxford: Oxford University
            Computing Services, 1994).

            I've just run across a Perl script called tdiff that does some simple
            collations, too, that some might be interested in. For more information,
            see http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/users/etg10/tdiff.html.

            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 3, 1997