Re: tc-list ENTMP transcription of Freer Gospels Matthew

  • Jean VALENTIN
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 31, 1969
      >My transcription of the book of Matthew from the Freer Gospels (W)
      >for the Electronic NT MS Project has been updated and is more-or-less
      >finished,
      >although more comparison with Sanders' facsimile would still help.
      >Under http://www.znet.com/~broman/manuscripts.html you can find the basic
      >SGML/TEI format transcription and a slightly interesting Postscript
      >Uncial rendition of the first hand's text.

      Vincent,

      I don't know what this SGML/TEI norm is. Are such documents readable on a
      Macintosh and how?

      Thank you for your help.

      Jean V.

      Jean Valentin - Bruxelles - Belgique
      e-mail: jgvalentin@...
      "Ce qui est trop simple est faux, ce qui est trop complexe est
      inutilisable"
      "What's too simple is wrong, what's too complex is unusable"
      "Wat te eenvoudig is, is verkeerd; wat te ingewikkeld is, is onbruikbaar"
    • Vincent Broman
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 1, 1997
      • James R. Adair
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 2, 1997
          On 1 Dec 1997, Vincent Broman wrote:

          > Robinson's
          > Collate program is Mac-only and is supposed to do wonders with TEI texts.

          Peter Robinson showed a demo of his Collage program at one of the meetings
          of the Electronic Standards for Biblical Languages Texts seminar at the
          recent SBL meeting in San Francisco, and it was very impressive. The good
          news for non-Mac users is that a Windows 95 version is supposed to be
          ready by now (the target date was late 1997). Go to
          http://slate.blue.dmu.ac.uk/projects/Collate/order_collate.html for
          more information.

          Jimmy Adair
          and
          -------------> http://shemesh.scholar.emory.edu <--------------
        • Vincent Broman
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 2, 1997
          • James R. Adair
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 3, 1997
              Vincent Broman said:

              >Thanks kindly for the URL. Unfortunately, the blurbs there are rather
              >uninformative about what the program's capabilities are (or else they are
              >informative but it is not very capable).
              >

              >One is left entirely in the dark about what the inputs to the program
              >are, aside from scholarly keystrokes. Input of Texts? Collations? how
              >many at a time? in what formats? the same formats as supported for output?
              >In what alphabets and with what lexical analysis rules? With markup or
              >only bare text?

              >Does the program filter or edit collations? separate or merge points of
              >variation? output subset collations? support a turing-complete scripting
              >language? run in batch mode? perform regularizations by rule?
              >classify variants as significant/insignificant? organize variants with
              >sub-variants, sub-sub-variants? etc.

              Here's a more informative URL:
              http://slate.blue.dmu.ac.uk/projects/Collate. From this page you can get
              quite a bit more information about the program. Peter Robinson is the
              head of the Textual Criticism work group of the Text Encoding Initiative,
              and his text of the Canterbury Tales, for which he wrote Collate, is
              tagged in TEI. For the really gory details, you might want to look at his
              book _The Transcription of Primary Textual Sources Using SGML_, Office for
              Humanities Communication Publications, no. 6 (Oxford: Oxford University
              Computing Services, 1994).

              I've just run across a Perl script called tdiff that does some simple
              collations, too, that some might be interested in. For more information,
              see http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/users/etg10/tdiff.html.

              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 3, 1997