Re: Re: tc-list Cyprian and 1 John 5:7

  • Jim West
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 27, 1997
      At 11:48 AM 11/27/97 -0500, you wrote:

      >In a message dated 11/27/97 10.33.07 am, you wrote:
      >
      ><<the Ante-Nicene Fathers>>
      >
      >Is this available on line anywhere, do you know?
      >
      >Guy Story Brown, Dallas
      >storybrown@...

      here

      http://ccat.sas.upenn.edu/jod/christian-history.html

      jim

      Jim West
      Adjunct Professor of Bible
      Quartz Hill School of Theology

      jwest@...
    • Kevin W. Woodruff
      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 27, 1997
        Ron:
        I found the Cyprian quote in the Ante-Nicene Fathers under Treatises of
        Cyprian, Treatise 1 "On the Unity of the Church" section 6. In my copy of
        the Ante Nicene Fathers this Volume 5 page 423, bottom of left-hand column.

        Incidentally, IMHO the best discussion of the comma is by Father Raymond
        Brown in his Anchor Bible Commentary on the Johannine Epistles pages 775-787
        Chapter 6

        The spouse of Christ cannot be defiled; she is uncorrupted and chaste. She
        knows one home, with chaste modesty she guards the sanctity of one couch.
        She keeps us for God; she assigns the children whom she has created to the
        kingdom. Whoever is separated from the Church and is joined with an
        adulteress is separated from the promises of the Church, nor will he who
        has abandoned the Church arrive at the rewards of Christ. He is a
        stranger; he is profane; he is an enemy. He cannot have God as a father
        who does not have the Church as a mother. If whoever was outside the ark
        of Noe was able to escape, he too who is outside. the Church escapes. The
        Lord warns, saying: 'He who is not with me is against me, and who does not
        gather with me, scatters.' He who breaks the peace and concord of Christ
        acts against Christ; he who gathers somewhere outside the Church scatters
        the Church of Christ. The Lord says: 'I and the Father are one.' And again
        of the Father and Son and the Holy Spirit it is written: 'And these three
        are one.' Does anyone believe that this unity which comes from divine
        strength, which is closely connected with the divine sacraments, can be
        broken asunder in the Church and be separated by the divisions of
        colliding wills? He who does not hold this unity, does not hold the law of
        God, does not hold the faith of the Father and the Son, does not hold life
        and salvation.

        Hope this helps

        Kevin W. Woodruff, M.Div.
        Library Director/Reference Librarian