Re: Re: tc-list Cyprian and 1 John 5:7

  • STORYBROWN@aol.com
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 27, 1997
      In a message dated 11/27/97 10.33.07 am, you wrote:

      <<the Ante-Nicene Fathers>>

      Is this available on line anywhere, do you know?

      Guy Story Brown, Dallas
      storybrown@...
    • Jim West
      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 27, 1997
        At 11:48 AM 11/27/97 -0500, you wrote:

        >In a message dated 11/27/97 10.33.07 am, you wrote:
        >
        ><<the Ante-Nicene Fathers>>
        >
        >Is this available on line anywhere, do you know?
        >
        >Guy Story Brown, Dallas
        >storybrown@...

        here

        http://ccat.sas.upenn.edu/jod/christian-history.html

        jim

        Jim West
        Adjunct Professor of Bible
        Quartz Hill School of Theology

        jwest@...
      • Kevin W. Woodruff
        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 27, 1997
          Ron:
          I found the Cyprian quote in the Ante-Nicene Fathers under Treatises of
          Cyprian, Treatise 1 "On the Unity of the Church" section 6. In my copy of
          the Ante Nicene Fathers this Volume 5 page 423, bottom of left-hand column.

          Incidentally, IMHO the best discussion of the comma is by Father Raymond
          Brown in his Anchor Bible Commentary on the Johannine Epistles pages 775-787
          Chapter 6

          The spouse of Christ cannot be defiled; she is uncorrupted and chaste. She
          knows one home, with chaste modesty she guards the sanctity of one couch.
          She keeps us for God; she assigns the children whom she has created to the
          kingdom. Whoever is separated from the Church and is joined with an
          adulteress is separated from the promises of the Church, nor will he who
          has abandoned the Church arrive at the rewards of Christ. He is a
          stranger; he is profane; he is an enemy. He cannot have God as a father
          who does not have the Church as a mother. If whoever was outside the ark
          of Noe was able to escape, he too who is outside. the Church escapes. The
          Lord warns, saying: 'He who is not with me is against me, and who does not
          gather with me, scatters.' He who breaks the peace and concord of Christ
          acts against Christ; he who gathers somewhere outside the Church scatters
          the Church of Christ. The Lord says: 'I and the Father are one.' And again
          of the Father and Son and the Holy Spirit it is written: 'And these three
          are one.' Does anyone believe that this unity which comes from divine
          strength, which is closely connected with the divine sacraments, can be
          broken asunder in the Church and be separated by the divisions of
          colliding wills? He who does not hold this unity, does not hold the law of
          God, does not hold the faith of the Father and the Son, does not hold life
          and salvation.

          Hope this helps

          Kevin W. Woodruff, M.Div.
          Library Director/Reference Librarian