Re: tc-list Cyprian and 1 John 5:7

  • James J. Cate
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 27, 1997
      ><<the Ante-Nicene Fathers>>
      >
      >Is this available on line anywhere, do you know?
      >
      >Guy Story Brown, Dallas
      >storybrown@...

      At:

      http://ccel.wheaton.edu/fathers/

      Jeff Cate
      Assoc. Prof. of Christian Studies
      California Baptist College
    • STORYBROWN@aol.com

        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 27, 1997
          At 11:48 AM 11/27/97 -0500, you wrote:

          >In a message dated 11/27/97 10.33.07 am, you wrote:
          >
          ><<the Ante-Nicene Fathers>>
          >
          >Is this available on line anywhere, do you know?
          >
          >Guy Story Brown, Dallas
          >storybrown@...

          here

          http://ccat.sas.upenn.edu/jod/christian-history.html

          jim

          Jim West
          Adjunct Professor of Bible
          Quartz Hill School of Theology

          jwest@...
        • Kevin W. Woodruff
          Message 4 of 14 , Nov 27, 1997
            Ron:
            I found the Cyprian quote in the Ante-Nicene Fathers under Treatises of
            Cyprian, Treatise 1 "On the Unity of the Church" section 6. In my copy of
            the Ante Nicene Fathers this Volume 5 page 423, bottom of left-hand column.

            Incidentally, IMHO the best discussion of the comma is by Father Raymond
            Brown in his Anchor Bible Commentary on the Johannine Epistles pages 775-787
            Chapter 6

            The spouse of Christ cannot be defiled; she is uncorrupted and chaste. She
            knows one home, with chaste modesty she guards the sanctity of one couch.
            She keeps us for God; she assigns the children whom she has created to the
            kingdom. Whoever is separated from the Church and is joined with an
            adulteress is separated from the promises of the Church, nor will he who
            has abandoned the Church arrive at the rewards of Christ. He is a
            stranger; he is profane; he is an enemy. He cannot have God as a father
            who does not have the Church as a mother. If whoever was outside the ark
            of Noe was able to escape, he too who is outside. the Church escapes. The
            Lord warns, saying: 'He who is not with me is against me, and who does not
            gather with me, scatters.' He who breaks the peace and concord of Christ
            acts against Christ; he who gathers somewhere outside the Church scatters
            the Church of Christ. The Lord says: 'I and the Father are one.' And again
            of the Father and Son and the Holy Spirit it is written: 'And these three
            are one.' Does anyone believe that this unity which comes from divine
            strength, which is closely connected with the divine sacraments, can be
            broken asunder in the Church and be separated by the divisions of
            colliding wills? He who does not hold this unity, does not hold the law of
            God, does not hold the faith of the Father and the Son, does not hold life
            and salvation.

            Hope this helps

            Kevin W. Woodruff, M.Div.
            Library Director/Reference Librarian