Re: tc-list ENTMP transcription of Freer Gospels Matthew

  • Jean VALENTIN
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 31, 1969
      >My transcription of the book of Matthew from the Freer Gospels (W)
      >for the Electronic NT MS Project has been updated and is more-or-less
      >finished,
      >although more comparison with Sanders' facsimile would still help.
      >Under http://www.znet.com/~broman/manuscripts.html you can find the basic
      >SGML/TEI format transcription and a slightly interesting Postscript
      >Uncial rendition of the first hand's text.

      Vincent,

      I don't know what this SGML/TEI norm is. Are such documents readable on a
      Macintosh and how?

      Thank you for your help.

      Jean V.

      Jean Valentin - Bruxelles - Belgique
      e-mail: jgvalentin@...
      "Ce qui est trop simple est faux, ce qui est trop complexe est
      inutilisable"
      "What's too simple is wrong, what's too complex is unusable"
      "Wat te eenvoudig is, is verkeerd; wat te ingewikkeld is, is onbruikbaar"
    • Vincent Broman
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 26, 1997
      • Vincent Broman
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 1, 1997
        • James R. Adair
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 2, 1997
            On 1 Dec 1997, Vincent Broman wrote:

            > Robinson's
            > Collate program is Mac-only and is supposed to do wonders with TEI texts.

            Peter Robinson showed a demo of his Collage program at one of the meetings
            of the Electronic Standards for Biblical Languages Texts seminar at the
            recent SBL meeting in San Francisco, and it was very impressive. The good
            news for non-Mac users is that a Windows 95 version is supposed to be
            ready by now (the target date was late 1997). Go to
            http://slate.blue.dmu.ac.uk/projects/Collate/order_collate.html for
            more information.

            Jimmy Adair
            and
            -------------> http://shemesh.scholar.emory.edu <--------------
          • Vincent Broman
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 2, 1997
            • James R. Adair
              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 3, 1997
                Vincent Broman said:

                >Thanks kindly for the URL. Unfortunately, the blurbs there are rather
                >uninformative about what the program's capabilities are (or else they are
                >informative but it is not very capable).
                >

                >One is left entirely in the dark about what the inputs to the program
                >are, aside from scholarly keystrokes. Input of Texts? Collations? how
                >many at a time? in what formats? the same formats as supported for output?
                >In what alphabets and with what lexical analysis rules? With markup or
                >only bare text?

                >Does the program filter or edit collations? separate or merge points of
                >variation? output subset collations? support a turing-complete scripting
                >language? run in batch mode? perform regularizations by rule?
                >classify variants as significant/insignificant? organize variants with
                >sub-variants, sub-sub-variants? etc.

                Here's a more informative URL:
                http://slate.blue.dmu.ac.uk/projects/Collate. From this page you can get
                quite a bit more information about the program. Peter Robinson is the
                head of the Textual Criticism work group of the Text Encoding Initiative,
                and his text of the Canterbury Tales, for which he wrote Collate, is
                tagged in TEI. For the really gory details, you might want to look at his
                book _The Transcription of Primary Textual Sources Using SGML_, Office for
                Humanities Communication Publications, no. 6 (Oxford: Oxford University
                Computing Services, 1994).

                I've just run across a Perl script called tdiff that does some simple
                collations, too, that some might be interested in. For more information,
                see http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/users/etg10/tdiff.html.

                Message 7 of 7 , Dec 3, 1997