Re: tc-list Cyprian and 1 John 5:7

  • Kevin W. Woodruff
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 26, 1997
      Ron:
      I found the Cyprian quote in the Ante-Nicene Fathers under Treatises of
      Cyprian, Treatise 1 "On the Unity of the Church" section 6. In my copy of
      the Ante Nicene Fathers this Volume 5 page 423, bottom of left-hand column.

      Incidentally, IMHO the best discussion of the comma is by Father Raymond
      Brown in his Anchor Bible Commentary on the Johannine Epistles pages 775-787

      Hope this helps

      Kevin W. Woodruff, M.Div.
      Library Director/Reference Librarian
      Cierpke Memorial Library
      1815 Union Ave.
      Chattanooga, Tennessee 37404
      United States of America
      423/493-4252 (office)
      423/698-9447 (home)
      423/493-4497 (FAX)
      Cierpke@... (preferred)
      kwoodruf@... (alternate)
      http://funnelweb.utcc.utk.edu/~kwoodruf/woodruff.htm
    • James J. Cate
      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 27, 1997
        ><<the Ante-Nicene Fathers>>
        >
        >Is this available on line anywhere, do you know?
        >
        >Guy Story Brown, Dallas
        >storybrown@...

        At:

        http://ccel.wheaton.edu/fathers/

        Jeff Cate
        Assoc. Prof. of Christian Studies
        California Baptist College
      • STORYBROWN@aol.com

          Message 4 of 14 , Nov 27, 1997
            At 11:48 AM 11/27/97 -0500, you wrote:

            >In a message dated 11/27/97 10.33.07 am, you wrote:
            >
            ><<the Ante-Nicene Fathers>>
            >
            >Is this available on line anywhere, do you know?
            >
            >Guy Story Brown, Dallas
            >storybrown@...

            here

            http://ccat.sas.upenn.edu/jod/christian-history.html

            jim

            Jim West
            Adjunct Professor of Bible
            Quartz Hill School of Theology

            jwest@...
          • Kevin W. Woodruff
            Message 5 of 14 , Nov 27, 1997
              Ron:
              I found the Cyprian quote in the Ante-Nicene Fathers under Treatises of
              Cyprian, Treatise 1 "On the Unity of the Church" section 6. In my copy of
              the Ante Nicene Fathers this Volume 5 page 423, bottom of left-hand column.

              Incidentally, IMHO the best discussion of the comma is by Father Raymond
              Brown in his Anchor Bible Commentary on the Johannine Epistles pages 775-787
              Chapter 6

              The spouse of Christ cannot be defiled; she is uncorrupted and chaste. She
              knows one home, with chaste modesty she guards the sanctity of one couch.
              She keeps us for God; she assigns the children whom she has created to the
              kingdom. Whoever is separated from the Church and is joined with an
              adulteress is separated from the promises of the Church, nor will he who
              has abandoned the Church arrive at the rewards of Christ. He is a
              stranger; he is profane; he is an enemy. He cannot have God as a father
              who does not have the Church as a mother. If whoever was outside the ark
              of Noe was able to escape, he too who is outside. the Church escapes. The
              Lord warns, saying: 'He who is not with me is against me, and who does not
              gather with me, scatters.' He who breaks the peace and concord of Christ
              acts against Christ; he who gathers somewhere outside the Church scatters
              the Church of Christ. The Lord says: 'I and the Father are one.' And again
              of the Father and Son and the Holy Spirit it is written: 'And these three
              are one.' Does anyone believe that this unity which comes from divine
              strength, which is closely connected with the divine sacraments, can be
              broken asunder in the Church and be separated by the divisions of
              colliding wills? He who does not hold this unity, does not hold the law of
              God, does not hold the faith of the Father and the Son, does not hold life
              and salvation.