tc-list Cyprian and 1 John 5:7

  • Ronald L. Minton
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 26, 1997
      On page 352 of _A History of the Debate Over I John 5:7, Maynard claims
      the comma is quoted by Cyprian. I could not find a clear case of this in
      Cyprian. Can anyone help me identify who was the first to really quote
      the comma?

      --
      Prof. Ron Minton: rminton@... W (417)268-6053 H 833-9581
      Baptist Bible Graduate School 628 E. Kearney St. Springfield, MO 65803
      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 26, 1997
        Ron:
        I found the Cyprian quote in the Ante-Nicene Fathers under Treatises of
        Cyprian, Treatise 1 "On the Unity of the Church" section 6. In my copy of
        the Ante Nicene Fathers this Volume 5 page 423, bottom of left-hand column.

        Incidentally, IMHO the best discussion of the comma is by Father Raymond
        Brown in his Anchor Bible Commentary on the Johannine Epistles pages 775-787

        Hope this helps

        Kevin W. Woodruff, M.Div.
        Library Director/Reference Librarian
        Cierpke Memorial Library
        1815 Union Ave.
        Chattanooga, Tennessee 37404
        United States of America
        423/493-4252 (office)
        423/698-9447 (home)
        423/493-4497 (FAX)
        Cierpke@... (preferred)
        kwoodruf@... (alternate)
        http://funnelweb.utcc.utk.edu/~kwoodruf/woodruff.htm
      • James J. Cate
        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 27, 1997
          ><<the Ante-Nicene Fathers>>
          >
          >Is this available on line anywhere, do you know?
          >
          >Guy Story Brown, Dallas
          >storybrown@...

          At:

          http://ccel.wheaton.edu/fathers/

          Jeff Cate
          Assoc. Prof. of Christian Studies
          California Baptist College
        • STORYBROWN@aol.com

            Message 5 of 14 , Nov 27, 1997
              At 11:48 AM 11/27/97 -0500, you wrote:

              >In a message dated 11/27/97 10.33.07 am, you wrote:
              >
              ><<the Ante-Nicene Fathers>>
              >
              >Is this available on line anywhere, do you know?
              >
              >Guy Story Brown, Dallas
              >storybrown@...

              here

              http://ccat.sas.upenn.edu/jod/christian-history.html

              jim

              Jim West
              Adjunct Professor of Bible
              Quartz Hill School of Theology

              jwest@...
            • Kevin W. Woodruff
              Message 6 of 14 , Nov 27, 1997
                Ron:
                I found the Cyprian quote in the Ante-Nicene Fathers under Treatises of
                Cyprian, Treatise 1 "On the Unity of the Church" section 6. In my copy of
                the Ante Nicene Fathers this Volume 5 page 423, bottom of left-hand column.

                Incidentally, IMHO the best discussion of the comma is by Father Raymond
                Brown in his Anchor Bible Commentary on the Johannine Epistles pages 775-787
                Chapter 6

                The spouse of Christ cannot be defiled; she is uncorrupted and chaste. She
                knows one home, with chaste modesty she guards the sanctity of one couch.
                She keeps us for God; she assigns the children whom she has created to the
                kingdom. Whoever is separated from the Church and is joined with an
                adulteress is separated from the promises of the Church, nor will he who
                has abandoned the Church arrive at the rewards of Christ. He is a
                stranger; he is profane; he is an enemy. He cannot have God as a father
                who does not have the Church as a mother. If whoever was outside the ark
                of Noe was able to escape, he too who is outside. the Church escapes. The
                Lord warns, saying: 'He who is not with me is against me, and who does not
                gather with me, scatters.' He who breaks the peace and concord of Christ
                acts against Christ; he who gathers somewhere outside the Church scatters
                the Church of Christ. The Lord says: 'I and the Father are one.' And again
                of the Father and Son and the Holy Spirit it is written: 'And these three
                are one.' Does anyone believe that this unity which comes from divine
                strength, which is closely connected with the divine sacraments, can be
                broken asunder in the Church and be separated by the divisions of
                colliding wills? He who does not hold this unity, does not hold the law of
                God, does not hold the faith of the Father and the Son, does not hold life
                and salvation.