Re: Supercessionism

  • Robert Groover
    Message 1 of 1714 , Dec 4, 1995
      > In seminary, when I was exposed to Jewish-Christian relations, I
      > discovered that using terms that are acceptable to both faiths helps to open
      > the door to such an opportunity of learning.
      If that's your objective, then you can use "Pentateuch", "Prophets,"
      "Tanakh," or such terms (or, when appropriate, "LXX").

      > It's not such a matter of "giving up" our beliefs, but having a more common
      > point of reference.
      No, repudiating "supercessionism" is precisely a matter of giving up the
      traditional Christian claims. The whole topic seems to me to be a matter
      of apologetics rather than scholarship (and hence not necessarily one for
      this list), but I object to the implicit assumption that we all share
      your view of traditional Christian claims.
      Advantages of the conventional terminology are that everyone understands
      it clearly, and that theological implications may be assumed to be
      historical baggage rather than active assertions; the same cannot be said
      of the neologisms you propose.

      > Besides, we who are text critics know that there is some question as to if
      > Jesus did say KAINHS when referring to the DIAQHKHS he was making (Mk14:24;
      > Mt 26:28).
      Sorry to be so slow replying, but I still haven't looked into the
      apparatus here - which witnesses attest the omission of KAINH?
      And do any omit it in both these passages?

      > There's no doubt there is anitsemitism and supercessionism in the NT. But
      > the message of God's love for all is central.
      Of course, the decision as to what is "central" implies doctrinal choices
      - and a focus on any one "central" aspect risks oversimplification of a
      fairly complex body of teachings.

      > So on this TC-list, I would like to us to consider using inter-faith
      > terminology, NOT to be more PC, but so we can make this list a friendly place
      > for scholars of different faiths who have a lot to contribute to Biblical
      > text criticism.
      Great - but I would say that introducing new theologically loaded
      terminology is not conducive to that end.

      Robert Groover groover@... (PGP key on request)
      Member ECS, AVS, ACM, OSA, Sen.Mem.IEEE, Reg'd Patent Atty
      "All men by nature desire knowledge."
      Message 1714 of 1714 , Feb 4, 1997