tc-list Re: Books about Nestle-Aland.

  • Matthew Johnson
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 17, 1997
      On Fri, 3 Oct 1997, lakr wrote:

      [snip]
      > Also, I was under the impression that the UBS and NA were so
      > close there is no benefit to owning both. Is that correct ?

      Not quite. It is the _text_ of NA and UBS that are almost
      identical. The critical apparatuses are quite different.

      I keep my UBS4 around for three reasons:
      1) the typeface is _so_ much more pleasant to read
      2) the patristic citations are more complete
      3) it has a punctuation apparatus.

      But to try to understand the history of the variants of any
      passage I use the NA's apparatus. Even that is incomplete
      and has been accused (not without some justification) of a
      strong "Alexandrian" bias.

      Matthew Johnson
      Waiting for the blessed hope and the appearance of the glory of our
      great God and Saviour Jesus Christ (Ti 2:13).