Re: Plural of "apparatus" (Was:tc-list Re: Latin nouns)

  • Matthew Johnson
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 15, 1997
      On Mon, 13 Oct 1997, Robert B. Waltz wrote:

      > On Mon, 13 Oct 1997, "DC PARKER" <PARKERDC@...>
      > wrote:
      >
      > >Robert Waltz wrote
      > >
      > >> OK, I checked my dictionary, and it's true -- the plural of "apparatus"
      > >> is "apparatus" or (gack!) "apparatuses." (Don't blame me for that last....)
      > >
      > >It isn't a mess. It's Latin. Apparatus is a 4th declension noun in -u. Nouns
      > >with gen. sg. and nom. pl. in -i are 2nd declension nouns in -o, like
      > >annus, anni.

      Isn't this getting off the topic for this list? I can understand a
      little confusion over this topic, especially when in this list people
      sometimes use Latin words according to Latin rules, but at other times
      according to English rules.

      So hoping to have the last word (ha! Fat chance of that!) I propose the
      following for this list:
      1) When using the English word "apparatus" (obviously borrowed from
      Latin), follow the English rule, i.e., look it up in the dictionary
      if you don't know whether the plural is "apparatus", "apparatuses"
      or "apparati".

      2) When using the Latin word "apparatus", take a hint from pre-Augustan
      orthography: since we cannot write the macron in net-ascii, spell it
      "apparatus" when singular, "apparatuus" when plural if the
      difference has textual signifigance.

      3) Follow the same rule for other 4th declension words.

      Matthew Johnson
      Waiting for the blessed hope and the appearance of the glory of our
      great God and Saviour Jesus Christ (Ti 2:13).