  • Jim West
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 14, 1997
      Thanks to Jenee Woodard who pointed me to this book which others also might
      find interesting regarding modern TC and its presuppositions:

      (Jenee tells me that though not primarily interested in biblical tc- the
      book covers it as well).

      A Critique of Modern Textual Criticism by Jerome J. McGann
      Table of Contents
      Foreword
      By D. C. Greetham
      Preface, 1992
      Acknowledgments
      Introduction
      1. Modern Textual Criticism: A Schematic History
      2. Modern Textual Criticism: The Central Problems
      3. The Ideology of Final Intentions
      4. A Modern Instance: Editing Byron
      5. Final Intentions and Textual Versions
      6. Final Authorial Intentions: Exceptions and Misconceptions
      7. The Problem of Literary Authority
      8. Modernized Editions and the Theory of Textual Criticism
      9. Summary
      10. Conclusion
      Appendix: A Possible Objection
      Notes