Re: Subject: Re: Supercessionism

  • Timster132@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1714 , Dec 4, 1995
      In a message dated 95-12-02 13:46:36 EST, David Moore writes:

      > I think Tim underestimates most Jewish scholars in thinking that
      >they might shrink at their Christian colleagues' use of terms like "Old
      >Testament" and "New Testament." To pursue the myth that we can always use
      >language that is acceptable to everyone cuts at the very heart of real
      >dialogue. Isn't mutual respect a better basis than politically correct
      >speech for achieving sincere, productive scholarly discussion?

      David,

      That's kind of like the American traveler that goes abroad and expects
      everyone in the world to speak English and is put off because they do not.
      Actually, foreign folks usually feel very complimented when you use their
      language, even if you speak it badly.

      I am not advocating persuing the myth you are talking about. I am not
      talking about trying to please everyone and never offend anyone, which is
      pollyanna.

      I think what my suggestion is that we can do this to show *mutual repect".

      Tim Staker
      Timster132@...
      Message 1714 of 1714 , Feb 4, 1997