Re: Erasmus, Metzger and the _Comma Johanneum_

  • Carlton L. Winbery
    Message 1 of 1714 , Mar 26, 1996
      Nichael>> [...] I first heard the
      >>material in this part of his [Bruce Metzger's] book on Canon in an address in
      >>New Orleans. I asked him specifically at that time would he include the
      >>Comma Johanneum in that class and he said "No." His reason was because of
      >>the lateness (12th cent. in Greek) and the way it got in, a trick played on
      >>Erasmus.
      >
      >Prof Winbery, do you recall when you heard this lecture? The reason I ask
      >is that there is an interesting footnote here, wrt this well-known story
      >concerning the Comma Johanneum and Prof Metzger in particular. The
      >following appears as note 2 on p291 of the 3rd edition of his _Text of NT_
      >(1992):
      I heard Prof. Metzger talk of the relation of text and canon in a seminar
      at the N.O. Baptist Seminary in 1980, I think. He did not tell the story
      about Erasmus at that time, only commented the Comma Johanneum should not
      be considered canonical because of the way it got into the text and did not
      circulate as text during the time of the development of the canon.

      Carlton L. Winbery
      Prof. Religion
      LA College, Pineville, La
      winberyc@...